Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Haahah Apple being sued for anti-trust

Stoned_CatzStoned_Catz Posts: 34,915 jayfacer
edited April 2012 in Off Topic
you fagz that buy Apple products, ive been sayin it all along you fagz are gettin bent over for $$$

Apple, major publishers hit with federal antitrust lawsuit over e-book pricing

Apple and several of the nation's largest book publishers were hit with a federal antitrust lawsuit on Wednesday for allegedly colluding to fix e-book prices.

According to the complaint, filed by the U.S. Department of Justice, at least five publishers—Simon & Schuster, HarperCollins, Hachette, Penguin and Macmillan—conspired with Apple to fix prices for e-books ahead of the 2010 launch of the iPad tablet and iBookstore, forcing Amazon to raise prices for e-books on the rival Kindle.

Simon & Schuster, HarperCollins and Hachette have already settled with the Justice Department. According to Bloomberg, Apple and Macmillan "have refused to engage in settlement talks" and "deny they colluded to raise prices for digital books." Penguin plans to fight the lawsuit too, Bloomberg said.

Before the iPad came along, publishers had complained that Amazon's $9.99 price for e-books was too heavily discounted. When the iPad made its debut, most e-books sold by Apple were priced at $12.99, with the Cupertino, Calif.-based company allowing publishers to set their own prices—known as the "agency model." Amazon soon allowed publishers to set their own prices, too, driving up the prices of digital editions.

"Apple facilitated the [publishers'] collective effort to end retail price competition by coordinating their transition to an agency model across all retailers," the suit alleges.

A class action lawsuit filed in California District Court last summer by Kindle consumers was the first to allege a conspiracy, CNNMoney.com noted. According to that suit, "booksellers were 'terrified' by the discounted e-book price structure Amazon launched in 2007." The "spooked publishers" colluded with Apple to force Amazon's hand.

[-(

blue turbins

From Those Fishes - I Fingered An Old Bitch (i got Aids on my finger)

Comments

• OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    I don't even know who the fuck this is.
    I love winning with women
  • LiveFreeDieLiveFreeDie Posts: 8,055 destroyer of motherfuckers
    OH NO. They're being sued over e-book pricing.. how terrible. <_>
    Death is not the worst of evils. You can't be down, when you're always high.
  • SATANSATAN Posts: 25,824 spicy boy
    anti-trust is a pretty big deal
  • Stoned_CatzStoned_Catz Posts: 34,915 jayfacer
    ebooks is just a start, the Feds will serve seopenas and Search Warrents collecting Data and shit, Apple is gonna get buttfukkt out of Millions =D>

[-(

blue turbins

To be honest after doing a bit more research Apple is in the wrong. But them being sued will only help the customers in the long run.

I've only bought one e-book from Apple and at the time it was priced the same on amazon.
  • NecrothulhuNecrothulhu Posts: 33,444 master of ceremonies
  • SATANSATAN Posts: 25,824 spicy boy
  • SkullAndCrossbonesSkullAndCrossbones Posts: 16,452 destroyer of motherfuckers
    =)) =)) =)) @ the tag
    "That's another thing I love about metal, it's so fuckin' huge yet certain people don't even know it exists." - Rob Zombie
  • GnomezGnomez Posts: 17,550 master of ceremonies
    A company worth US $600 billion with shares worth US $644 isn't going to be too bothered about a measly few million dollar lawsuit
    A company worth US $600 billion with shares worth US $644 isn't going to be too bothered about a measly few million dollar lawsuit
    u mean like Billion Dollar oil company "Enron" that the US Gov tore to the ground because of anti-trust [-(

[-(

blue turbins

• fucketh_thine_selffucketh_thine_self Posts: 3,363 just the tip
    the only apple product i own is an ipod and i only bought ipod because nobody else even comes close to the 160gigs of space that apple offers
    An Apple spokeswoman has officially responded to the lawsuit filed yesterday by the U.S. Department of Justice over the Apple-backed agency model of e-book pricing.

In a statement to All Things D, Apple spokesman Tom Neumayr:

"The DOJ’s accusation of collusion against Apple is simply not true. The launch of the iBookstore in 2010 fostered innovation and competition, breaking Amazon’s monopolistic grip on the publishing industry. Since then customers have benefited from eBooks that are more interactive and engaging. Just as we’ve allowed developers to set prices on the App Store, publishers set prices on the iBookstore."

Legal experts commenting on the case said the Justice Department has a steep hill to climb to catch Apple on antitrust charges. Some experts suggest that even amid claims that the publishers met to discuss a shift to an agency model being championed by Apple, the publishers may not be found guilty of antitrust violations.
    Team Apple image
  • fucketh_thine_selffucketh_thine_self Posts: 3,363 just the tip
  • ShaneShane Posts: 15,229 balls deep
    Anti-trust is a huge deal. A lot of you weren't even alive when the US sued Microsoft over IE in an antitrust.

Seems like the gov is finally taking action to protect consumers from monster corporations. With the lawsuit to block AT&T and T-Moblie merger and now Antitrust against Apple. i can't believe i'm saying this but the Gov did something right for a change
    Seems like the gov is finally taking action to protect consumers from monster corporations

incorrect...

the Gov is about money and Sueing Corps for Anti-trust means Gov pockets money... just like Enron or Madoff the GOV got money but the people that got ripped off took it in the ass

[-(

blue turbins

• Me_Me_ Posts: 13,701 salt miner
    Enron..isn't that company involved in alot of the hydraulic fracking going on?
    no they revealed false info to inflate the worth of their Stock then sold their stock about a billion dollars worth of Overpriced stock... then they destroyed evidence and numerous other shit

[-(

blue turbins