Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

House of Blues cited as city (Boston) cracks down on dance-floor mayhem.

Behemoth24Behemoth24 Posts: 469 salt miner
edited March 2012 in Off Topic
http://bostonherald.com/news/regional/view/20220313cops_slam_mosh_pits_house_of_blues_cited_as_city_cracks_down_on_dance-floor_mayhem?fwcc=1&fwcl=1&fwl

Boston cops are cracking down on slam-dancing concertgoers, blindsiding a top Hub venue for a rowdy mosh pit at a recent gig and pledging to halt all “dangerous behavior” on the floor — prompting outrage from bands who say the aggressive dance style is an integral part of the show.

“The city of Boston needs to stay out of it,” said Guy Kozowyk, vocalist for Hub metal band The Red Chord. “I understand cracking down on fighting, but (moshing) is a form of expression. It’s ridiculous they’re cracking down on this now. There are plenty of other problems.”

There's more of the article in the link provided.

Comments

• mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    Lol good luck.
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • laurjohn2laurjohn2 Posts: 6,951 balls deep
    FULL ARTICLE

Boston cops are cracking down on slam-dancing concertgoers, blindsiding a top Hub venue for a rowdy mosh pit at a recent gig and pledging to halt all “dangerous behavior” on the floor — prompting outrage from bands who say the aggressive dance style is an integral part of the show.

“The city of Boston needs to stay out of it,” said Guy Kozowyk, vocalist for Hub metal band The Red Chord. “I understand cracking down on fighting, but (moshing) is a form of expression. It’s ridiculous they’re cracking down on this now. There are plenty of other problems.”

Boston cops cited the House of Blues for a license violation because of a mosh pit that broke out during a Feb. 21 show by Los Angeles band Flogging Molly. According to police, 60 concertgoers engaged in an “aggressive mosh pit dance,” during which people were running and “colliding into each other,” including some who were “knocked to the ground.” No injuries were reported.

A Boston Police Department inspector said the communal dance violated safety rules and the club was cited because security did not intervene, records show.

A statement from the House of Blues said “the safety of our patrons is the top priority” and that the venue is working closely with the city “to address concerns about moshing and other forms of expressive dance.” A Flogging Molly publicist declined to comment.

City officials said they could not recall another instance when a Hub rock club was cited for a mosh pit, but cops vowed that dance- floor mayhem will not be tolerated.

“Dancing is a First Amendment right, but the behavior itself is a violation, especially when it becomes dangerous and a public safety hazard,” Boston police spokeswoman Officer Nicole Grant said.

The city’s licensing board took the matter under advisement after a City Hall hearing yesterday, while the club was ordered to put up illuminated signs saying moshing is not allowed.

The dustup comes as the Lansdowne Street club plans for three sold-out St. Patrick’s Day shows by the Dropkick Murphys this week. But Dropkick singer Ken Casey said the club and city have nothing to worry about.

“I don’t see it as a concern for us. Maybe in 1998 it would have been,” Casey said.

But other bands say the crackdown sets a bad precedent and will force heavier bands — including several top-selling Massachusetts metal acts — back to Worcester and the suburbs, where venues have permitted mosh pits for years.

“This new anti-moshing policy proves once again that the city of Boston hates heavy music,” said Trevor Phipps, vocalist for Boston’s Unearth. “It’s disheartening and maddening to know your hometown doesn’t support or understand your music scene.”

Brian Fair, vocalist for Grammy-nominated Bay State metal band Shadows Fall, called the clampdown “ridiculous” and said: “I can understand trying to cut down on injuries or fights, but you see more fights outside a dance night on Lansdowne Street than you see inside a hardcore show.”

FIGURES that hardcore dancers at a flogging molly show have to fuck it up for the rest of us
  • XenoXeno Posts: 21,031 master of ceremonies
    Das phucked.

I'm seeing Flogging Molly in May.
    Das phucked.

I'm seeing Flogging Molly in May.
    Lupos? have fun

• Behemoth24Behemoth24 Posts: 469 salt miner
    There's never anything good at Lupos, which is why I prefer The Palladium.
  • TigerTiger Posts: 2,116 balls deep
    Only in Boston.
    The day you need a gun and don't have one, may be your last.

There's never anything good at Lupos, which is why I prefer The Palladium.
    There's 1-3 good shows a year at Lupos.

The palladium, however, constantly has great shows moving through. It's too far away for me to actually go though. One day.
    edited March 2012
    Are you from Rhode Island? There's an Every Time I Die show coming to Lupos at the end of the month.
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,705 spicy boy
    Lol good luck.
    I read that in the voice from Taken
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
    i hate the Palladium, but do agree they have some good shows. i was just there this past Saturday. the pat downs on the way in are retarded

on a side note, The Met in Providence has some good shows scheduled.....www.themetri.com
    Saturday, April 28
    Sepultura
    Death Angel
    Krisiun
    Havok

Never been to The Met but I am going to try to go to this one.
    Are you from Rhode Island? There's an Every Time I Die show coming to Lupos at the end of the month.
    Yeah I am, I like ETID a bit but not enough to pay for a ticket just to see them since I don't like any other bands on that tour.
    Saturday, April 28
    Sepultura
    Death Angel
    Krisiun
    Havok

Never been to The Met but I am going to try to go to this one.
    i am trying to talk the wife into letting me go to this one. Also Destruction is coming in May
    edited March 2012
    Where in RI? I'm in West Warwick. I just noticed that Vital Remains is playing at The Met in May, I think I will try to go to that too.
    Where in RI? I'm in West Warwick. I just noticed that Vital Remains is playing at The Met in May, I think I will try to go to that too.
    its on the Providence / Pawtucket line
    I'm in Barrington, 5 mins from the border of Seekonk MA.

The Met is in Pawtucket if I'm not mistaken
    How big or small is it in comparison to the Palladium?
    Small. Very small.
    How big or small is it in comparison to the Palladium?
    very small. about the size of Palladium upstairs, without the balcony