Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Danger: psychologist says Rudolph advocates bullying

AbbadonAbbadon Posts: 1,990 juggalo
edited December 2011 in Off Topic
Parents who sit down to watch the holiday classic “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer” may be surprised to know they are advocating bullying and causing harm to their children, according to a psychologist.

For many older Americans, who grew up watching the children’s classic on television every Christmas, the show is a story of hope. Rudolph, who has a disability that separates him from his fellow reindeer, ends up overcoming ridicule and saves his friends from a monster, and ultimately even Christmas itself.

George Guliani, author of “No More Bullies at the North Pole” and a professor of special education, says that is not the message at all in the cartoon and that instead it teaches children that bullying others is acceptable behavior.

Appearing on Fox and Friends, Giuliani said Rudolph faces constant bullying from his father, his coach and all of his classmates. “Can you imagine if your child’s teacher said to the class ‘don’t ever play with this child again just because he has Multiple Sclerosis?”

Comedian Brad Stine took issue with Giuliani saying this just proves that political correctness has run amok. “His nose glows, if you have an appendage that illuminates, they are going to make fun of you.”

Stine said the real message is how Rudolph overcame adversity and reflects the difference between liberals and conservatives.

“Look how he handled it. He didn’t sue Santa because it was a hostile work environment,” Stine said. “Liberals are victims, conservatives are victorious, liberals are whiners, and conservatives are winners. It is a classic story about overcoming obstacles.”

Giuliani says Rudolph pulling the sleigh, instead of being a moment of inspiration, shows the hypocrisy of Santa.

Judging by comments on various websites, the majority of posters appear to disagree with the Giuliani about the show causing harm to youngsters.

On the Examiner.com comments such as the following have appeared.

“The whole premise of Rudolph The Red Nose Reindeer is about teaching kids that every person has value and that you should not look down on someone because they are different.”

“I do not see how it "promotes" bullying at all. It's more to the contrary. It is a story of hope, love and courage, and to ban it from TV would be like banning the Wizard of Oz; it's a part of American culture. Sometimes, I think certain people read too much into things.”

“Let’s just trample on anything good. With a good message! I'm sick of this so called no it alls, trying to tell us what is good and what is bad. Get off your horse and stop playing God!”

Even on the liberal Huffington Post, while many of the comments were critical of Fox News and their viewers, very few actually agreed with Giuliani’s position.

“I loved it as a kid and I watch every year. It brings back a lot of good memories of Christmas past with my folks.”

“'Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer' Promotes Bullying. Riiiiiiigh­t . . . . And roadrunner cartoons promotes buying cheap crap from China (where Acme must be located)”

“How funny it is to read this article. Both my husband and I grew up watching this show. We watched it again the other night and commented on how bad the behavior of both Santa and Comet were. We were joking that as society goes overboard with political correctnes­s, this show will never be seen again because somebody is going to complain! And here it is!!!”

According to learningaboutbullying.com, “No More Bullies at the North Pole” retells the story so it has a happy ending. “Teachers and parents of children ages 5-12 should find this book a valuable resource for pointing out such concepts as bullying, rejection, conformity, sexism, favoritism, mocking, hypocritical behavior, misuse of authority, bullying and exclusion.”

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer originally aired on Dec. 6, 1964. The Christmas television special was a produced by Rankin/Bass who also produced “Santa Claus is Coming to Town” and other specials.

Rudolph has aired every year since its initial showing, making it the longest continuous running Christmas TV special.

Comments