Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

List the top 5 Overrated bands talked about on this board, in your opinion.

1141516171820»

Comments

• WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
    jag said:

Anyone willing to elaborate on what they like about them as opposed to just listing them?

album flow and chord progression is one of the biggest reasons I like them. Song's like Lateralus blow my mind... How can one make a chord progression that change from 9/8 to 8/8 to 7/8 (987 being the 17th progression of the Fibonacci sequence) AND have lyrics that also make reference to the Fibonacci sequence but have the song sound cool and not complete shit?

It's the onion of layers to their songs that I love.... It's the main reason why I love Pink Floyd too. Their songs aren't one dimensional rock songs. They have several facets of meaning and views in their songs. Even the detail such as the album having different arrangements, and the differing flow of such arrangements.

So that's what it is. I admire the complexity of the songs in both lyrical and tone progressions, and the flow speaks to my soul (for lack of better words)

EDIT - bumping because I want a response from jag so I dont want it buried.

• mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    Everybody comment and bury it again because wake doesn't think jag knows how to read through comments.
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • Chicken_FuckerChicken_Fucker Posts: 15,691 destroyer of motherfuckers
    My opinion on Maiden and Tool is either you get it or you don't. I wouldn't waste my time explaining why I like either because it likely won't change anyones mind anyway. What they have done speaks for itself and not everyone will enjoy them and I would possibly understand if people who don't get into them get annoyed by all the conversation that both bands get.
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    I can somewhat agree.

I showed my friend tracks off of 10,000 Days and he said he thought they were neat, but not really his style with the whole "jungle drums" thing.

That's something that I thought made 10,000 amazing, so I can't change that and have no desire to.
    I love winning with women
  • MarcTheFallenMarcTheFallen Posts: 26,661 master of ceremonies
    Cradle of Filth
    Hypocrisy
    Bloodbath
    Satyricon
    Amon Amarth
    Maiden idk if I'll ever be able to fully get into. The way I see people go nuts over them like some of us go for Tool makes me think that it's just something that clicks and blows you away.
    =))
  • streetsstreets Posts: 3,351 just the tip

Bloodbath

Bloodbath > everything you love
  • MenAreTrashMenAreTrash Posts: 27,667 spicy boy

Cradle of Filth
    Hypocrisy
    Bloodbath
    Satyricon
    Amon Amarth

I haven't heard a single person mention any of those bands recently. Amon Amarth when the new album was released, but nobody has said a word about them since.
    He was making a joke about Leah's favorite bands. lol
  • jagjag Posts: 5,033 destroyer of motherfuckers

jag said:

Anyone willing to elaborate on what they like about them as opposed to just listing them?

album flow and chord progression is one of the biggest reasons I like them. Song's like Lateralus blow my mind... How can one make a chord progression that change from 9/8 to 8/8 to 7/8 (987 being the 17th progression of the Fibonacci sequence) AND have lyrics that also make reference to the Fibonacci sequence but have the song sound cool and not complete shit?

It's the onion of layers to their songs that I love.... It's the main reason why I love Pink Floyd too. Their songs aren't one dimensional rock songs. They have several facets of meaning and views in their songs. Even the detail such as the album having different arrangements, and the differing flow of such arrangements.

So that's what it is. I admire the complexity of the songs in both lyrical and tone progressions, and the flow speaks to my soul (for lack of better words)

I saw the original. I was at work and only could be on here via my phone so I waited til I got home to give a response. That being said, thanks for the elaboration. I have nothing against Tool as I previously mentioned. I'm just trying to see things from another persons POV, per se. Also, I want to try to create actual music discussion because logic and reasoning really are scarce here when it comes to the music thread. I'm trying to get away from the watered down listing I enjoyed your reasoning tho. Thanks Wake.

I wouldn't waste my time explaining why I like either because it likely won't change anyones mind anyway. What they have done speaks for itself and not everyone will enjoy them and I would possibly understand if people who don't get into them get annoyed by all the conversation that both bands get.

I could say this about any band, would you agree? When it comes to explaining, this is obviously not a forum for any moderate explanation because putting effort into it is apparently not worth the extra few seconds. Other places, a post without the explanation is frowned upon. I can't change the dynamics of this forum, but I enjoy when someone steps up and can rationalize their side/views as opposed to the mindless "well I like it fukkovs I dont need to explain it" mentality.
  • WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
    jag said:

jag said:

I saw the original. I was at work and only could be on here via my phone so I waited til I got home to give a response. That being said, thanks for the elaboration. I have nothing against Tool as I previously mentioned. I'm just trying to see things from another persons POV, per se. Also, I want to try to create actual music discussion because logic and reasoning really are scarce here when it comes to the music thread. I'm trying to get away from the watered down listing I enjoyed your reasoning tho. Thanks Wake.

\m/ np. I feel that if I put a little more thought into it, then I could have been a little more articulate. But glad to hear the general jest of it wasnt lost
  • Chicken_FuckerChicken_Fucker Posts: 15,691 destroyer of motherfuckers
    "I could say this about any band, would you agree?"

Not really because Tool and Iron Maiden are big enough bands that everyone has heard them by now and has likely already made his/her decision about them. On the other hand it you wanted to recommend me a band that is lesser known because for certain reasons, then that would be a different story.
  • NecrothulhuNecrothulhu Posts: 33,444 master of ceremonies
    Alex said:

He was making a joke about Leah's favorite bands. lol

All of those aren't even my favorites. A few like Bloodbath and Hypocrisy I do listen to often doe
    imageimage
  • TravisTravis Posts: 4,971 balls deep
    Between The Buried And Me
  • Jobe_Wan_KenobiJobe_Wan_Kenobi Posts: 19,526 moneytalker
    edited September 2012
    jag said:

I want to try to create actual music discussion because logic and reasoning really are scarce here when it comes to the music thread. I'm trying to get away from the watered down listing I enjoyed your reasoning tho.

When it comes to explaining, this is obviously not a forum for any moderate explanation because putting effort into it is apparently not worth the extra few seconds. Other places, a post without the explanation is frowned upon. I can't change the dynamics of this forum, but I enjoy when someone steps up and can rationalize their side/views as opposed to the mindless "well I like it fukkovs I dont need to explain it" mentality.

^:)^

Never leave Jag. We will reach the 100th monkey someday, and it will be glorious.
    Pass the god damn butter.