Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

*Official* College/Standardized Testing Thread

2»

Comments

• WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
    You have been misinformed. GRE vs GMAT is just like SAT vs ACT. When I said there was a GRE requirement, I just meant that they had a requirement to take a Graduate entrance exam. Rochester Institute of Technology accepts either GMAT or GRE. People usually opt for GRE because it is 100 dollars cheaper, however both are very similar. Here is an article for you that talks about the difference and why some sides are trying to make people believe the lie you just mentioned.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/04/education/edlife/strategy-t.html
  • KridesBrideBrittKridesBrideBritt Posts: 25,781 jayfacer
    I'm hopefully not going to have to take the GRE either. If I go for Creative Writing at Columbia, my GRE will be my writing samples. If I go for CompLit though, I might have to actually take it.
    kristianPhotobucketPhotobucket Trephination-Tuesday Nights/Wednesday Mornings...11pm-1am- http://wrsu.rutgers.edu/listen.html
    I'm hopefully not going to have to take the GRE either. If I go for Creative Writing at Columbia, my GRE will be my writing samples. If I go for CompLit though, I might have to actually take it.
    I think I was accepted for two reasons. 1. I have a decade worth of work experience. 2. *more importantly* They are hurting on student enrollment and they know my company is good for the money.

They want like 5k per class! I wouldnt be going if I had to pay that [-(
    What I am saying is if you are going to a competitive school (which I think you are), then you might not have the luxury I had.
    I already researched the Columbia Creative Writing program. It says that they don't look at your GREs for that. I might just take them anyway. I'm probably going to make my decision around November. This fall I'm taking Advanced Creative Writing with the same professor that I had Intermediate with. She's the one pushing me to go to Columbia and she knows the system there since she also teaches there. But Columbia is a fuckload of money.
    kristianPhotobucketPhotobucket Trephination-Tuesday Nights/Wednesday Mornings...11pm-1am- http://wrsu.rutgers.edu/listen.html
    But Columbia is a fuckload of money.
    how much?
    edited June 2011
    I'd be doing one of the bold ones. I wouldn't have a problem if it was per year, not per semester.

TUITION PER SEMESTER

MFA (all programs) full residency (12-18 points per semester): $22,446

Film Studies MA full residency (12-18 points per semester): $19,312

MFA (all programs) half-time status (3-11.5 points per semester, allowed under special circumstances only): $8,978

Nondegree candidates, per point: $1,636

Research Arts (MFA applicable registration categories): $1,854

Extended Residence (Film Studies MA and other applicable concentrations): $7,330

Jesus. :O My masters is going to cost my company 50k, and I thought that was expensive. you got me covered in 2 semesters.
    edited June 2011
    :-)) Hah. Yeah. But it's a degree from Columbia, so you pay for the big name. Oh, that doesn't include housing or whatever. I'd probably get an apartment in NYC. My friend Susan is trying to get into Columbia right now.

What school is your program?
    Rochester Institute of Technology. It's a private university. They have created quite a name for themselves in the field of optical-electronics. They aren't MIT by any means, but it is a decent program.
    sometimes I think the name is worth it... Columbia is probably one of the names that is. Living in NYC is going to break the bank though. I had a friend who lived in Harlem because that is all he could afford. He was the only white guy living in the area for several miles and his rent was still like 2k a month for a studio. He said it sucked because no one would sell him weed. They figured him for the police....
    edited June 2011
    Well, weed wouldn't be a problem for me, since I don't smoke. :-)) I might take a year off, save up and shit like that. I wouldn't care if I lived down in a rundown place as long as there's a working bathroom and kitchen and a floor I can stick a mattress on and a train station nearby (it's NYC, so that won't be a problem).

This is the program:

REQUIREMENTS FOR GRADUATION

All students must take, for a total of 60 points for the MFA degree:

Two 6-pt workshops; one 9-pt thesis workshop; poets must take an additional 6-pt workshop (optional for fiction and nonfiction). All workshops must be taken in the concentration in which the student is enrolled.

21 points of Writing Program seminars, lectures and/or master classes (any combination of theses three types of classes) including, for nonfiction students, the required Research Seminar (which may be waived by concentration director).

12-18 points of electives. Electives may include additional courses within the Program, courses outside the Program, independent study, and/or internships. Students are required to take at least 6 credits of courses outside the Program, though no more than 6 credits at the 3000 (undergraduate) level.

In addition, a thesis of at least 32,500 words of prose or 35 poems composed (or substantially revised) since entering the program and attendance at a thesis conference are required for the degree. (Note: The conference is not a thesis "defense" - the decision to pass or fail is made before the conference takes place.) A thesis may consist of work in more than one genre only in exceptional circumstances and with the approval of both concentration directors.

In general, students should not take the Thesis Workshop in the term in which they intend to turn in their thesis. If you wish to do so, you must receive permission from the concentration director.

Seminars and lectures are open to all students, with the following exceptions and provisos: only Poetry students may take the Practice of Poetry seminar and preference is given to Nonfiction students for the Research Seminar.

• sometimes I think the name is worth it...
    This, especially in business...

I'm going to law school, bitches!
  • 1D_for_life1D_for_life Posts: 13,785 destroyer of motherfuckers
    I'm really liking the University of Missouri.
  • AdamAdam Posts: 11,533 balls deep
    I've been going to college for about a year got a couple years left.
    I'll be starting my applications this fall :-S
  • AdamAdam Posts: 11,533 balls deep
    College is pretty awesome. I am taking this movie class this semester all you do is watch movies.
    edited July 2011
    Haha that sounds like a few classes I have taken in high school!
    I'm going to wait to start my applications until I take the ACT soon