Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Gnomez and NZ

WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
edited May 2011 in Off Topic
I was watching a cool movie this weekend where this dude wanted to get back to Antarctica, and so he went to ChristChurch to hang out, hoping to bum a ride. The movie made me wonder how popular ChristChurch was for people wanting to go south.

Comments

• WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
    What do you do in NZ?
  • GuruGuru Posts: 2,089 juggalo
  • GnomezGnomez Posts: 17,550 master of ceremonies
    Yeah Christchurch is a nice city (but it's having a hard time at the moment as it got nailed by a big earthquake on 22 Feb).
    All of NZ (but especially the South Island) is very scenic and pretty.
    Queenstown is awesome especially during the ski season (June-Sept).

I'm an insurance broker
    And I dont fuck sheep
    Yeah I remember seeing the earthquake news.... Surprised to hear it is still recovering from it.

Do you live in Christchurch? Do you ever hear people talking about going to Antarctica? I always thought that the best way to get to the bottom of the world (or top depending on your perspective), was to go through South America.
    I think I'd like to move to NZ
    It's going to take a while to rebuild parts of the CBD in CHCH.Maybe 2 years? They're still demolishing buildings and houses and wondering what to do with other buildings.A mate of mine has taken his demolition business down there to do some of the work.
    CHCH is in the lower South Island.I live in the central North Island which is quite a way away.Yes I think most people would go to Antartica via CHCH as it's probably very close (relatively speaking).Air NZ used to take scenic flights to Antartica until about 20 years ago when a plane hit Mt Erebus and all the passengers died...that was our biggest aviation disaster
    Wow. that is crazy about the plane crash. I would have loved to take quick visit to Antarctica. that is too bad that they shut the operation down after one tragic plane crash.

I worked with a guy that spent a couple years down at the Antarctic base station. He was a member of the 300 club. If you havent heard.... those fools down there in the dead of winter when it is -100 degrees F outside, strip down naked and go sit in a sonna that they crank up to +200 degree F. Then when they cant take the heat anymore, they bust out of the sonna and try and run the 100 yards to the geographic south pole... experiencing an instead 300 degree temperature difference.

edited May 2011
    That sounds like it would put a hell of a lot of stress on the old heart
    Post edited by Gnomez on
    If you are interested here is some info about the Erebus disaster

http://www.nzhistory.net.nz/culture/erebus-disaster