Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Disney trademarks name of elite special forces unit that killed Bin Laden

BrianBrian Posts: 17,611 destroyer of motherfuckers
edited May 2011 in Off Topic
Ever eager to capitalize on a popular fad, Disney has staked their marketing territory by trademarking the name of the Navy Seals unit that killed the infamous terrorist, Osama Bin Laden; and they did it within two days of his reported death. While movies like Jawbreaker and Kill Bin Laden are in production, Disney can now use “Seal Team 6” to identify anything with that moniker as their product.

What types of things you ask? I’m no patent attorney, but I would assume that a feature film falls under the “entertainment and education services” of their trademark registration. And unless, as Alex Weprin of Fishbowl NY remarks, “Disney has been working on an animated feature about a team of anthropomorphic seals in search of adventure,” the timing of this acquisition seems like more than a coincidence. Hit the jump to see what else Disney can trademark with “Seal Team 6.”

From an archive search of their three separate applications at the US Trademark Electronic Search System, Disney can use “Seal Team 6” on:

“Entertainment and education services, Toys, games and playthings; gymnastic and sporting articles (except clothing); hand-held units for playing electronic games other than those adapted for use with an external display screen or monitor; Christmas stockings; Christmas tree ornaments and decorations; snow globes, Clothing, footwear and headwear”

A previous trademark for “Seal Team 6” was registered to military-themed video game maker, NovaLogic, Inc., but it expired back in 2006. Personally, I’d love to see what Disney tries to do with this. Snow globes? Christmas stockings? Christmas hasn’t been this gung-ho since Bruce Willis got trapped in Nakatomi Tower. Unfortunately for Disney, they missed out on the “Rambama” trademark; it would make the perfect stocking stuffer.
nike Pictures, Images and PhotosTUPAC IS DEAD/THE LEGEND IS GONE/THEY SAYIN TUPAC'S BACK?/DEM NIGGAS WRONG

Comments

• ShaneShane Posts: 15,229 balls deep
    thats a slap in the face to those hero's. at least thats how i would consider it if i was a part of it
  • XenoXeno Posts: 21,031 master of ceremonies
    I would have lol'd if Infinity Ward trademarked it.
  • BrianBrian Posts: 17,611 destroyer of motherfuckers
    thats a slap in the face to those hero's. at least thats how i would consider it if i was a part of it
    Exactly. How is it justifiable to use someone else's noble actions as your own marketing ploy?
    nike Pictures, Images and PhotosTUPAC IS DEAD/THE LEGEND IS GONE/THEY SAYIN TUPAC'S BACK?/DEM NIGGAS WRONG
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
  • NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,282 mod
    hero's.
    Yes.
    lol

Exactly. How is it justifiable to use someone else's noble actions as your own marketing ploy?
    Are you kidding? Brands do it all the time.

The only reason this affects you is because it's such a recent event. If they trademarked the name of a roman legion of soldiers you probably wouldn't care.
    hero's.
    Yes.
    if that was some attack at my grammar i could care less
    hero's.
    Yes.
    couldn't*

The only reason this affects you is because it's such a recent event. If they trademarked the name of a roman legion of soldiers you probably wouldn't care.
    .........................are you, by chance, retarded?
    hero's.
    Yes.
    couldn't*

.........................are you, by chance, retarded?
    I don't think so. Why do you ask?
    maybe there is gonna be a disney movie about the navy seals killing people
    Made by Pixar... :D
  • GazorpazorpfieldGazorpazorpfield Posts: 22,293 master of ceremonies
    If we unfroze walt, we could make osama a jew
    image Photobucket
  • SantanaSantana Posts: 16,743 juggalo
    I think items should be made for sale out of Special Team 6 but not by Disney. I think it would be cool for people to be able to buy a shirt as support for Special Team 6 but Disney? Really?
  • GazorpazorpfieldGazorpazorpfield Posts: 22,293 master of ceremonies
    Actually...have any of you guys ever seen the propaganda videos Disney made during WWII...holy shit those are fueled with racism.
    image Photobucket
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    Disney may have provided the movies of my childhood but beneath the surface.....yikes......
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
    Actually...have any of you guys ever seen the propaganda videos Disney made during WWII...holy shit those are fueled with racism.
    Yep. Worst was it was being distributed to kids.

And they downed Hitler for brainwashing............
  • myplagueRobmyplagueRob Posts: 1,375
    Even most older Disney movies are. If you pay attention you can find it in all of them. People like to think of Disney films as happy and cheerful but some of the themes in Disney movies are quite messed up
  • SantanaSantana Posts: 16,743 juggalo
    Yep.

• NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,282 mod
    Disney may have provided the movies of my childhood but beneath the surface.....yikes......