Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

A riddle for George

Comments

• FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    On someones head?
  • ShaneShane Posts: 15,229 balls deep
    a van seats 8, yet there are 16 people in it. how is that possible?
  • GnomezGnomez Posts: 17,550 master of ceremonies
    They are all pregnant women?
    They are all pregnant women?
    good guess but no
    8 sets of siamese twins?
    you're over analyzing it. its a pretty simple answer
    8 people are sitting
    Plus 7 are standing in the aisle
    Plus 1 bus driver
    <_> they're mexican
  • SantanaSantana Posts: 16,743 juggalo
    Or anyone actually.

Since you're so bored, here is a riddle for you to solve.

No cheating. (google, asking people)
    If you already know it, don't spoil it.

"You have two lengths of rope. Each rope has the property that if you light it on fire at one end, it will take exactly 60 minutes to burn to the other end. Note that the ropes will not burn at a consistent speed the entire time (for example, it's possible that the first 90% of a rope will burn in 1 minute, and the last 10% will take the additional 59 minutes to burn).

Given these two ropes and a matchbook, can you find a way to measure out exactly 45 minutes?"
    That was a riddle in a textbook for my friend's physics class. Lol
    I didn't read the thread and don't know if anyone has figured it out but I won't spoil anything
  • WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Or anyone actually.

Since you're so bored, here is a riddle for you to solve.

No cheating. (google, asking people)
    If you already know it, don't spoil it.

"You have two lengths of rope. Each rope has the property that if you light it on fire at one end, it will take exactly 60 minutes to burn to the other end. Note that the ropes will not burn at a consistent speed the entire time (for example, it's possible that the first 90% of a rope will burn in 1 minute, and the last 10% will take the additional 59 minutes to burn).

Given these two ropes and a matchbook, can you find a way to measure out exactly 45 minutes?"
    I fucking love riddles and this is right up my alley.... NOTE - I havent read the comments yet or googled to know the answer. but how about something like SPOILER BELOW

I'm assuming I have multiple matches in my matchbooks, because the rules did not say you don't. Most matchbooks have more then one match.

Okay so if I light the first rope on both ends it will burn in 30 minutes. So If I fold the second rope in half and light both folded ends on fire when the first rope finishes, then the second rope should complete its burn in 15. 30 +15. am I close?

Light one rope on both ends. Since it is now burning twice as fast, it will take just 30 minutes. At the same time, light the othe rope on one end.

After the first rope is fully burned, 30 mins have gone by, and 30 mins remain on rope 2. Now light the other end of rope 2, making it burn twice as fast and finish in 15 minutes instead. 15 + 30 = 45
    ahhh... I like this solution better. however I do think mine would have also worked.
    New riddle!

A man was found dead in his study. He was slumped over his desk and a gun was in his hand. There was a cassette recorder on his desk. When the police entered the room and pressed the play button on the tape recorder they heard: "I can't go on. I have nothing to live for." Then there was the sound of a gunshot. How did the detective immediately know that the man had been murdered and it wasn't a suicide?
    easy. He hit play without rewinding. a dead man can't rewind after a gun shot.

There are 3 switches downstairs, each corresponding to one of the light bulbs upstairs. How can you figure out which light switch goes to which light bulb by only making 1 trip upstairs?
    I've heard this one before... It could be done with even more lights too. At least 4, maybe 5 if I thought about it.
    I have two awesome riddles. here is the first....

There are 4 guys with one flashlight that come to a bridge at night. The bridge can only hold two people at a time, and they need the flashlight to cross. Each guy walks across the bridge in different times, which is 1 minute, 2 minutes, 5 minutes, and 10 minutes. When two people walk across they have to walk at the slower person's speed. What is the fastest speed all four could get across if they walk across the bridge? There is NO trick to this riddle, it is simple math.

Here is the most obvious solution :

1 and 2 walk across = 2 minutes
    1 walks back = 1 minute
    1 and 5 walk across = 5 muntes
    1 walks back = 1 minute
    1 and 10 walk across = 10 minutes
    -----------------------------
    19 total minutes.

I can do it in 17. Can you?
    Bump. yo Tim, you working on this one? it's good, if you havent heard it already.
  • TimTim Posts: 2,441 admin
    No, I am working on installing Ruby and RubyOnRails on our stupid !#@$&amp;% development server. Bout to slap a bitch.
    there are some who call me... tim?
    fun. well when you have time figure this one out without google. You'll like the answer when you get it.
  • HOODSHOODS Posts: 41,866 destroyer of motherfuckers
    riddle me this, George?

:>
  • StratophonyStratophony Posts: 9,212 just the tip
    You are in a room with 3 monkeys. One monkey has a banana, one has a stick, and one has nothing. Who is the smartest primate?
  • StratophonyStratophony Posts: 9,212 just the tip
    i am :bz
    hellz yea you are! :-bd