Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Stop the performance tax

laurjohn2laurjohn2 Posts: 6,951 balls deep
edited February 2010 in Off Topic
http://www.noperformancetax.org/

i heard about this on the radio. Looks like record labels are trying to tax our local / free radio stations that could change radio as we know it, and put some out of business. These fuckers need to be stopped

Comments

• laurjohn2laurjohn2 Posts: 6,951 balls deep
    Radio at RiskFor more than 80 years, radio and the recording industry have enjoyed a mutually beneficial relationship: free play for free promotion. And it works. It’s a relationship that has sustained businesses on both sides.

In fact, radio’s free promotion of artists translates to as much as $2.4 billion annually in music sales for record labels and artists. And this doesn’t even include the enormous revenues they receive from concerts and merchandising.

But the labels–like many businesses–are struggling in this economy. They have failed to adapt to the digital age, and find their business model is broken. And now they want to impose a fee called a performance tax on local radio stations to subsidize their losses.

A performance tax would threaten the local radio stations that communities depend on. It would financially hamstring stations, stifle new artists and harm the listening public who rely on free local radio.

Where does the money go?In short, the money generated from the performance tax would flow out of your community and into the pockets of the major record labels – and three out of the four are foreign-owned. The record labels would like for you to think this is all about compensating the artists, but in truth the record labels would get at least 50 percent of the proceeds from a tax on local radio.

How does this affect me?If you’re one of the 235 million people who listen to radio each week, a tax could reduce the variety of music radio stations play, and all but eliminate the possibility of new artists breaking onto the scene. The tax could particularly affect smaller, minority-owned stations, some of which may have to switch to a talk-only format or shut down entirely.

It also affects your community. Radio stations are major contributors to public service – generating $6 billion in public service annually, providing vital news and community information and free airtime to help local charities. If a tax were imposed, stations’ critical community service efforts could be reduced.

And, worst of all, if you’re one of the 106,000 Americans employed by local radio, your job could be in jeopardy. In these troubling economic times, the last thing local radio needs is to be hit with a tax that some analysts estimate could be $2-7 billion annually.

Free Play For Free PromotionCongress has continually recognized that local radio is different from other musical platforms and should not be subject to a performance tax. Local radio is free, so everyone, regardless of income, can have access to it. Local radio also has to fulfill certain public service obligations that other platforms do not. And importantly, the free music that radio plays provides free promotion to the record labels and artists – up to $2.4 billion annually.

Tell Congress to Support Local Radio – Take Action NowThere are currently two bills pending in Congress that would levy a performance tax on local radio – H.R.848, sponsored by Rep. John Conyers (MI-14) and S.379, sponsored by Sen. Patrick Leahy (VT). Your members of Congress need to hear that you strongly oppose these bills.

Additionally, anti-performance tax resolutions have been introduced in the House and Senate in support of local radio. In the Senate, Sens. Blanche Lincoln (AR) and John Barrasso (WY) introduced S. Con. Res. 14, and in the House, Reps. Gene Green (TX-29) and Mike Conaway (TX-11) introduced H. Con. Res. 49. Both are known as the Local Radio Freedom Act. Many members of Congress already support local radio and resolutions against the performance tax. Others still need to hear your voice.
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,592 spicy boy
    we dont have a good radio station here ne ways
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,721 mod
    Fucking Conyers, no wonder Michigan is in such bad shape with these fuckers running the show in Lansing and the White House.
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
    crap like this justifys pirating music. i hate the record labels
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    Eh been hearing about this for a month or more now doesn't bother me either way though I don't listen to the radio much and when I do it's talk stations
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
    That doesn't mean you shouldn't fight it.
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
    this would impact radio station sponsers events, could impact music festivals that are heavily sponsered by radio stations
    Okay well the fact I think radio ruins good bands is a reason for me not to give a fuck about what happens to radio stations
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
    Rock on the range is sponswrd by a radio station and I have to say that's not a good argument to sway me with at this point in time
    i really dont listen to radio too much. Boston had 2 rock radio stations, WBCN and WAAF. WBCN went under about a year ago and now all we have is WAAF, and a couple of Providence and New Hampshire stations. WBCN was a huge sponser of a couple Boston rock festivals, and now they are bye-bye. Even though i never lsitened to the station, it affects the shows that are not coming to the Boston area anymore
  • NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,281 mod
    I don't give a shit I listen to Sirius anyway.

• ZmbieFlavrdCupcakesZmbieFlavrdCupcakes Posts: 32,259 jayfacer
    who listens to radio?
    imageimage
  • NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,281 mod
  • Ace_Deputy_CheezeAce_Deputy_Cheeze Posts: 14,736 jayfacer
    edited February 2010
    !07.7 THE BOOOOONNNNEEEEE <33333
    Deputy_Cheeze's Profile Page Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • NOLANOLA Posts: 6,353 jayfacer
    edited February 2010
    "I don't give a shit I listen to Sirius anyway"

Howard 100/101, Octane, Boneyard, Lithium, Liquid Metal is fucking heaven to the ears.
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    107.7 THE BONE
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
  • ShaneShane Posts: 15,229 balls deep
    radio sucks, fuck em