Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

GULCH'S ROMANTIC SIDE

GULCH_OF_ROTGULCH_OF_ROT Posts: 5,795 salt miner
edited March 2011 in Off Topic
Cliffs of Proposition

​This rocky outcropping of earth, jetting out toward the infinite sea, is covered with small tuffs of grass all leaning in one direction from the constant onslaught of Northwestern winds. With my face to the wind I look down about two hundred feet, waves crash into vertical sea cliffs that rise up from the blue. The cliffs are like a meandering line cut along the coast, where the ocean meets the rocky faces and stretches off as far as the eye can see. The kiawe trees attempt to stand straight up, but have been forced to grow horizontal to the earth by always present winds. Turning west and looking down the outcrop a huge metal structure stands high into the air. At the top rests a light which rotates a steady three hundred and sixty degrees. The air is cool and dry with a strong sent of salt. Beyond the light house the sun slowly dips its lower quadrant into the distant horizon. This sight brings back overwhelming memories of anxious fear and eager anticipation.

​With nothing but the sounds of the wind and the rustling of the plant life being oppressed by it, this place is peaceful and serine. Scanning the horizon to the south, across a huge bay, there are tiny buildings densely packed along the coastline. White sand beaches front the long town, which is slowly starting to light up as dusk fills the sky. Turning toward the east reveals a steep incline of rock that continues up the peak of the mountain. About half way up the ridge tall white structures stand proud in the wind. Around the top half of each structure there is a vertical halo painted in the air. Upon more scrutiny it appears that the halos are spinning at break neck speeds. The windmills are new to the landscape; their fresh coats of paint are brilliant in this light. These massive structures were not there six years ago when my guts were turned upside down with nervous excitement.

​With focus returned to the ocean, tiny triangles can be seen gliding across its surface. The sailboats and catamarans remind me of birds scoping the water’s surface for a fish dinner. The sun finally closes is last tiny eye onto the horizontal line of blue and sets the sky afire. Above, colors run through the clouds that span from light orange to deep red and every hue in between. Within moments of the suns departure,the winds gentle, and the first stars which are more than likely planets begin to dot the sky. The small but lengthy town is glowing brightly in the growing darkness. This outcrop,although somewhat barren, provides an onlooker with overwhelming amounts of breathtaking views. I knew this was the place years before that frightful and glorious night; it’s just so stunning, how could this not be the place.

​Nothing next to death can keep me from these barren wind torn cliffs, for I will be gazing out onto their beauty for as long as there is breath in my lungs. The darkness has taken the sky and tiny white dots are no longer scattered out across the heavens, but twinkling in uncountable numbers. I look south one more time and focus my vision on Maui Meadows. If I squint hard enough, I can make out the street light I’ll be crossing on my way home. The moon is not full like the night some six years past, but it looks amazing none the less.

Looking onto the long beach town I grew up in, and still call home, I can make out the grounds of my elementary and middle school, which are attached to each other. Those are the grounds where I met most of my best friends and my beautiful wife. I can see the super market I shop at and the park I like to barbeque at; I can see it all. Most memories I hold dear were born in a place I can see from this rocky finger of earth, which is surrounded on three sides by the great Pacific. These memories are from long years past, along with fresh ones that have just been experienced. I stood on this ground for one of the most life changing experiences of my time. This is the ground where I proposed to my wife. This is the ground where she said yes.

Comments