Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

So

XenoXeno Posts: 21,031 master of ceremonies
edited January 2011 in Off Topic
I've never talked about this before but my grandfather was a paratrooper during WW2, and went on to become a green beret. He served in the 17th Airborne Division, and spent a lot of time in Germany during the war. A few months ago we were going through the basement after he died and we found a dress rapier buried beneath all of his old clothes and stuff with a sticky note stuck on it that said Hermann Goring, who turned out to be the head of the Nazi Air Force during WW2. We're guessing he took it from a raid that he took part in during WW2 on an air field that he would talk about, but we have no way of knowing.

Anyways, tonight my grandmother was rifling through the basement again through hundreds of old containers and found a Nazi flag, judging from the amount of fade and wear it's from WW2, along with pins that would be worn on a uniform, that have swastikas on them.

I thought it was pretty damn cool, I'll probably put some pics up tmrw

Comments

• GnomezGnomez Posts: 17,550 master of ceremonies
  • XenoXeno Posts: 21,031 master of ceremonies
    Yeah dude. I knew he had Army stuff down there but this stuff is just weird. My Nana is freaking out thinking that she's been in a house with Nazi memorabilia for 40 years lol
    Mate if it's genuine it is collectors stuff and could be worth a bit
    Take photos and document it
    I wouldn't sell it but would keep it in the family
  • RAZORRAZOR Posts: 7,664 jayfacer
    That's awesome. My dad found a Nazi officers knife in the garbage (he's a garbage man), it's really awesome.
    imageimage
  • XenoXeno Posts: 21,031 master of ceremonies
    Mate if it's genuine it is collectors stuff and could be worth a bit
    Take photos and document it
    I wouldn't sell it but would keep it in the family
    That's what I plan to do. My uncle already got the sword but my mom wants to stay in control of what we just found lol
    Exactly...otherwise people take different bits and the collection is suddenly spread far and wide thru the family and gets lost or sold off.
    I recently bought my grandfathers WW1 campaign medal from a collector for $100.
    Quite randomly he rung me up as he was selling his collection of coins and medals and I have an unusual surname so he found me easily enough
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,706 spicy boy
    history stuff is so cool...

nobody in my family--that i know personally-- has been in wars...
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
  • rammstein516rammstein516 Posts: 3,720 juggalo
    You must have an old grandpa. My grandpa served in Vietnam (Navy), not sure what rank but at that time he was the one that had information strapped to his arm and the only way to get the strap off without the key was to cut his arm off. My dad always tells me stories of how when he lived in Spain all the other soldiers would wear their uniforms off base but my grandpa didn't, at that point he knew he was into some heavy stuff. Sadly I can't ask my grandpa myself.
  • SantanaSantana Posts: 16,743 juggalo
    What do you mean by heavy stuff? Don't really get where that's coming from
  • TehClassyPrinceTehClassyPrince Posts: 1,015 juggalo
    edited January 2011
    I never wore my uniform off base, the people that do, were just being glory whores, I hate accepting praise when it's so over the top, from people.
  • Ace_Deputy_CheezeAce_Deputy_Cheeze Posts: 14,736 jayfacer
    I never wore my uniform off base, the people that do, were just being glory whores, I hate accepting praise when it's so over the top, from people.
    Says the guy who has quotes from people in his sig...
    Deputy_Cheeze's Profile Page Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • JeffJeff Posts: 1,164 just the tip
    my navy friend wears his dress blues when he flies cause he gets upgraded to first class, boarded on first and free food.
    edited January 2011
    Says the guy who has quotes from people in his sig...
    lol. Good point, but this was to prove a point to my enemies, that are in denial of my greatness.
    What do you mean by heavy stuff? Don't really get where that's coming from
    That means important things....
    This was in the 70's when everyone wore their uniform off base. Besides, it wasn't that my grandpa chose not to, he was not aloud to.
  • MarcTheFallenMarcTheFallen Posts: 26,661 master of ceremonies
    My grandpa got shot by a Nazi in WW2. Dumb ass lost the purple heart he got from it <_>
    This was in the 70's when everyone wore their uniform off base. Besides, it wasn't that my grandpa chose not to, he was not aloud to.
    Yeah I know, not so now days, only the insecure ones do.
  • SantanaSantana Posts: 16,743 juggalo
    Yeah I know, not so now days, only the insecure ones do.
    It's sadly more of a security issue when soldiers wear their uniform off base. It's obvious things have changed.