Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

interesting discovery in quantum mechanics

1DisturbedMthrFckr1DisturbedMthrFckr Posts: 1,027 juggalo
edited December 2010 in Off Topic
"Thanks to physics, and the truly bizarre quirks of quarks, those Star Trek style teleporters may be more than fiction.

A strange discovery by quantum physicists at the University of California Santa Barbara means that an object you can see in front of you may exist simultaneously in a parallel universe -- a multi-state condition that has scientists theorizing that teleportation or even time travel may be much more than just the plaything of science fiction writers.

Until this year, all human-made objects have moved according to the laws of classical mechanics, the rules governing ordinary objects. Toss a ball in the air and it falls back to Earth. Drop a coin from your roof and it falls into your yard. But back in March, a group of researchers designed a gadget that moves in ways that can only be described by quantum mechanics -- the set of rules that governs the behavior of tiny things like molecules, atoms, and subatomic particles.

And the implication -- that teleportation and even time travel may someday, somehow be a reality -- is so groundbreaking that Science magazine has labelled it the most significant scientific advance of 2010.

Physicists Andrew Cleland and John Martinis from the University of California at Santa Barbara and their colleagues designed the machine -- a tiny metal paddle just barely visible to the naked eye -- and coaxed it into dancing with a quantum groove: First, they cooled the paddle until it reached its "ground state," or the lowest energy state permitted by the laws of quantum mechanics (a goal long-sought by physicists). Then they raised the widget's energy by a single quantum to produce a purely quantum-mechanical state of motion.

They even managed to put the gadget in both states at once, so that it literally vibrated a little and a lot at the same time -- a bizarre phenomenon allowed by the weird rules of quantum mechanics.

"When you observe something in one state, one theory is it split the universe into two parts," Cleland told FoxNews.com at the time, trying to explain how there can be multiple universes and we can see only one of them.

Crazy? Maybe. Insanely great science? Absolutely.

Science magazine has just recognized this first quantum machine as the 2010 Breakthrough of the Year. The magazine's editors have also compiled nine other important scientific accomplishments from this past year into a top ten list, appearing in a special feature in the journal's current issue.

"On a conceptual level that's cool because it extends quantum mechanics into a whole new realm," said Adrian Cho, a news writer for Science. "On a practical level, it opens up a variety of possibilities ranging from new experiments that meld quantum control over light, electrical currents and motion to, perhaps someday, tests of the bounds of quantum mechanics and our sense of reality."

Comments

• XenoXeno Posts: 21,031 master of ceremonies
    I knew this when I read Timeline 7 years ago.
    I never saw that movie.
  • JormungandrJormungandr Posts: 1,971 juggalo
    I've actually seen this. Really cool movie.
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 10,361 balls deep
    I don't get what they did
    Mayhem Denver '08, Albuquereque '09/'10/'11 2012 ????????? peyton manning broncos Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Deificus254Deificus254 Posts: 540 juggalo
    Basically the scientific advancement could be abridged by correlating the discovery to a vibrator. Think of a vibrator at full speed, giving off an extreme sensation of friction. while at the lowest speed it barely gives off any form of sensation. Now, try envisioning these two occurrences preformed simultaneously by a minuscule paddle barely visible without optical aid.

With this in mind, as well as an elementary understanding of the theory of time travel and/or teleportation. You should be able to comprehend the scientific advancement taking place in this published commodity of intellectual stimulation. Mind you, if you are ignorant to the aforementioned theories, I will give you a brief synopsis, in laymen terms, regarding the theory of time travel.

The Theory of time travel states, during this pseudo-scientific occurrence, all entities not attempting to travel through the timeline will continue to maintain their natural velocity. Said velocity varies depending on the gravitational force, conjointly with mass of said entities, in addition to any additional forces affecting their existence. One would strive to excel the desired entity's natural velocity to a virtually paradoxical degree of acceleration. More accurately, attempting to accelerate the entity's velocity to the closest proximity equivalent to the speed of light without reaching actually achieving it. The achievement of such a scientific and technological feat would in Theory cause the entity being accelerated to travel through eras of the existing timeline at an exceptionally transcendent rate in comparison, the entities lacking said excelled velocity would maintain their natural progression through the timeline.

Understanding this brief abridged synopsis of time travel might lead one to an ignorant, yet partially accurate, conclusion. After a period of time, the acceleration of the transcendent entity would decrease its velocity to the equivalence of the unaltered entities. At this point the decelerated entity would in theory, remain in a notably extended era in the occupied timeline.

The Theory goes into much greater detail.

I hope this helps you better comprehend what this discovery actually did.

Ask if you have any questions....i'm going to bed.

• GazorpazorpfieldGazorpazorpfield Posts: 22,293 master of ceremonies
    Lol I love when Grimes pulls out his big people words
    image Photobucket
  • OPPOPP Posts: 50,132 spicy boy
    I love winning with women
    Lol I love when Grimes pulls out his big people words

Sorry!! Let me try this again.

Erik is the entity being sent into the future.
    To do this you must firstly get by the fact that is more annoying than a lab rat who went to Jesus Camp and came back speaking in tongues.
    After you successfully do this, You must strap him down to a catapult with some form of propulsion launching system. Launch said nuisance.
    Now, pray to the gospel of the spaghetti monster. In said prayer ask him to catch the aforementioned experiment specimen with one of his almighty noodle appendages and thrust Erik at an even faster rate of speed.
    Sacrifice the tongue speaking, Jesus camp attendee, known as the lab rat. This will guarantee your prayer being answered.
    Now, pray to Buddha asking that erik does not reach the speed of light. If he does gravity will pull him back to our time.
    If successful, your life will be much better off.

However, I cannot guarantee a acceptable quality of life experience for future generation.
    edited December 2010
    It's not that I don't get it lol, I read the article with no problem. It's just fun to see when you post paragraphs of doom
    image Photobucket
    lol, it is actually quite an interesting topic.
  • NecrothulhuNecrothulhu Posts: 33,444 master of ceremonies
    It's not that I don't get it lol, I read the article with no problem. It's just fun to see when you post paragraphs of doom
    This. And what guarantees that nothing would happen to you through time travel?
    imageimage
    Nothing. Lol Your molecules may become so unstable you explode from the inside out.
  • NecrothulhuNecrothulhu Posts: 33,444 master of ceremonies
    That's what I thought may happen.
    imageimage
    I think in one of Stephen Hawking's shows he said it was likely that going back in time you would experience something like feedback in a sound system, except with radiation. Time travel to the future is "technically" possible so long as you have a way to approach the speed of light.
    image Photobucket
  • TheDevilsDreadsTheDevilsDreads Posts: 1,625 just the tip
    I think in one of Stephen Hawking's shows he said it was likely that going back in time you would experience something like feedback in a sound system, except with radiation. Time travel to the future is "technically" possible so long as you have a way to approach the speed of light.
    and you are just inside the gravitational pull of an object.
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    Sweet. And I understood Grimey's first explanation but his second explanation was weird lol.
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
  • JormungandrJormungandr Posts: 1,971 juggalo
    I don't see how time travel to the future is possible.
    As you approach the speed of light, time slows down, it doesn't speed up.
    I was going to try to offer my explanation, but then I realized I don't fully understand any of this. Just bits and pieces. Oh well.