Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Filipinos sue CA hospital over English-only rule

HOODSHOODS Posts: 41,866 destroyer of motherfuckers
edited December 2010 in Off Topic
LOS ANGELES – Dozens of Filipino hospital workers in California sued their employer Tuesday alleging they were the sole ethnic group targeted by a rule requiring them to speak only English.

The group of 52 nurses and medical staff filed a complaint accusing Delano Regional Medical Center of banning them from speaking Tagalog and other Filipino languages while letting other workers speak Spanish and Hindi.

The plaintiffs are seeking to join an August complaint filed by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission in Kern County federal court over the hospital's enforcement of a rule requiring workers to speak English.

Filipino workers said they were called to a special meeting in August 2006 where they were warned not to speak Tagalog and told surveillance cameras would be installed, if necessary, to monitor them. Since then, workers said they were told on a daily basis by fellow staffers to speak only English, even on breaks.

"I felt like people were always watching us," said tearful 56-year-old Elnora Cayme, who worked for the hospital from 1980 to 2008. "Even when we spoke English ... people would come and approach us and tell us, 'English only.'"

A message was left at the hospital seeking comment.

In its lawsuit, the EEOC has accused the hospital in California's San Joaquin Valley of creating a hostile working environment for Filipinos by singling them out for reprimands and for encouraging other staff to report them. The agency is seeking an injunction to protect the workers against future discrimination.

The EEOC has seen an increase in complaints alleging discrimination based on national origin amid a rise in anti-immigrant sentiment, said Anna Park, a regional attorney for the EEOC. That's especially the case in California's central valley, where a greater share of the complaints the agency receives relate to such issues than in the nation as a whole.

In this case, the current and former hospital workers filed a separate complaint under state law in part because monetary damages are capped by federal law, said Julie Su, litigation director for the Asian Pacific American Legal Center, which represents the plaintiffs. They want the English-only policy to be changed and for hospital staff to be trained on the new rule.

Under California law, employers may require workers to speak English if there is a business necessity, Su said.

Delano Regional Medical Center is a 156-bed hospital located about 30 miles north of Bakersfield.

Comments

• mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    My company is currently being sued because we don't hire black people..... 1/3 of the people I work with are black how that works I don't get it.

I think being in America people should have to communicate in English while on the clock especially if you work with customers
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
  • HOODSHOODS Posts: 41,866 destroyer of motherfuckers
    or at least Ebonics
  • NecrothulhuNecrothulhu Posts: 33,444 master of ceremonies
    My company is currently being sued because we don't hire black people..... 1/3 of the people I work with are black how that works I don't get it.

I think being in America people should have to communicate in English while on the clock especially if you work with customers
    I agree. I also don't like the fact I feel obliged to go out and learn Spanish because it'll broaden my horizons in this country jobwise. Learning that shit is hard for me to do....even though my goals are crazy high...like how I want to learn German, Italian, Norwegian, and Polish <_>
    imageimage
    I failed the shit out of spanish class in high school.
    I passed with a C I think. I took it my freshman year and I blew ass at learning it and remembering
    imageimage
    edited December 2010
    I just didnt understand it, i tried, then after about a month i just said fuck it and bullshitted around in class. i knew i was gonna fail, might as well have fun doing it. only class i ever fucking failed.
    Only class I ever failed was Math freshman year. Mainly because at some point I got really really lazy and did nothing
    imageimage
    i was always pretty good at math, it was English Class I couldnt stand and had a hard time with. I couldnt stand writing Essays and reading all these shitty books they pick out for you. At least I passed.
    I didn't like the books we had to read but I was always good at English. I always ended up getting A's and B's on the final paper we had to do on something. I did it on the El Chupacabra, Mothman, and New Jersey Devil once. I enjoyed that haha
    imageimage
    The New Jersey Devil! I used to party all the time when I was a teenager in the Pine Barrens. Never seen the Jersey Devil though, that would be awesome if I did (depending on how fucked up I was). If I was sober and seen that shit, I'd prolly run like a bitch. yea those woods are weird, all kinds of creepy shit happens around there.
    There's some woods or a forest in Japan or China I want to go to that's fucking crazy. Cheeze mentioned it before and I immediately wanted to go afterwards
    imageimage
    the woods fucking rule!......... \m/
    I fully agree =]
    imageimage
  • BrianBrian Posts: 17,611 destroyer of motherfuckers
    edited December 2010
    Honestly, what do they expect though?

If I was paying someone and they kept speaking in a language I don't know, how do I know that they aren't doing anything wrong? That's essentially like whispering to your friend and laughing while another friend's like "wtf?"
    nike Pictures, Images and PhotosTUPAC IS DEAD/THE LEGEND IS GONE/THEY SAYIN TUPAC'S BACK?/DEM NIGGAS WRONG
  • TravisTravis Posts: 4,971 balls deep
    I'm one of the most tolerant and open-minded people you will ever meet; I do feel that you should learn/speak English in America....Like was posted earlier, if only to communicate with the VAST majority of citizens who speak ONLY English. Because if I went to China/Spain/France, I would need to speak their home language to get around.....
  • ZmbieFlavrdCupcakesZmbieFlavrdCupcakes Posts: 32,259 jayfacer
    mmmmmmmmm filipinossss :X
    imageimage
  • ShaneShane Posts: 15,229 balls deep
  • Shanez_WifeShanez_Wife Posts: 2,008 just the tip
    If you can fill out an application in english, sign the damn thing, and accept the job, speak fucking english at your job or get the fuck out of the job.
  • KridesBrideBrittKridesBrideBritt Posts: 25,781 jayfacer
    The New Jersey Devil! I used to party all the time when I was a teenager in the Pine Barrens. Never seen the Jersey Devil though, that would be awesome if I did (depending on how fucked up I was). If I was sober and seen that shit, I'd prolly run like a bitch. yea those woods are weird, all kinds of creepy shit happens around there.
    I've camped out there as well. Sober though. Scared the fuck out of me...good times.

I believe that as long as you have enough English skills to communicated with your customers, your employer and fellow employees, it shouldn't matter if you speak another language in addition to English.

kristianPhotobucketPhotobucket Trephination-Tuesday Nights/Wednesday Mornings...11pm-1am- http://wrsu.rutgers.edu/listen.html