Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

*Official college basketball thread*

Comments

• SkullAndCrossbonesSkullAndCrossbones Posts: 16,452 destroyer of motherfuckers
    edited March 2011
    man, i wish robbie hummel never got injured for the last half of last season and this entire season. purdue woulda been denefite contenders if he was in. oh btw, im not much of a basketball fan but i usually root for my favorite college football teams in basketball. penn state is my favorite football team, purdue is my second favorite. and there are a lot more teams that i like that i root for.
    "That's another thing I love about metal, it's so fuckin' huge yet certain people don't even know it exists." - Rob Zombie
  • Chicken_FuckerChicken_Fucker Posts: 15,691 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Ohio State, Texas, Kansas, and Kansas State are my Final Four.

Don't sleep on Texas even though they had a little skid at the end. They are still one of the best defensive teams and can play with the big dogs.

I might change K-State. The Southeast is going to be an interesting one.
    3 big 12 teams huh? ok then...
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,721 mod
    I'd be surprised if one got in. Kansas got bounced pretty quickly last year.
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
    I just checked the Yahoo group.....

Marc.......... <_>
    After releasing a controversial men's tournament bracket, the NCAA selection committee chair cited different factors Sunday for why one team was in and then some of those very same factors for why other teams were out.

Ultimately, said chairman Gene Smith, the athletic director at Ohio State, the factor that mattered was whether a team received enough votes to move on to the next phase in the selection process.

The most controversial picks were Conference USA regular-season champ UAB, which beat one team in the field, VCU, another perplexing pick considering the Rams didn't finish in the top two in the Colonial Athletic Association.

In defending the selection of UAB, which lost in the quarterfinals of the C-USA tournament to East Carolina, Smith said that the committee was impressed by "their road wins, who they beat, their RPI and a lot of different factors."

UAB was 31 in the RPI, won nine road games and beat no team in the top 50 in the RPI.

Smith qualified his point by saying there wasn't one factor that is ruled over the other. But then he delivered a telling nugget that served to explain his thinking.

"I couldn't point to one thing," Smith said on a conference call with the media Sunday night. "But they have a great résumé. They're a very good ballclub. We all know that."

Smith said that some committee members did put stock in UAB winning the regular-season title in Conference USA.

Conversely, tying for a conference title, like Saint Mary's did, didn't hold as much weight out of the WCC. Neither did having the second-most wins in the SEC and winning a division title like Alabama. Smith said neither Saint Mary's nor Alabama had enough votes to get a selection.

Smith's refrain on VCU was similar to his on UAB. VCU, with an RPI of 51, lost in the CAA title game to Old Dominion.

"Virginia Commonwealth is a tough team," Smith said. "They play solid. Great ballclub. If you watch them play, one of those teams that a lot of people don't want to play."

Smith then went on to say that it's about the body of work to get a team a spot. The Rams' win total (23), wins against top 50 (three, UCLA in New York, at Old Dominion, and George Mason in the CAA tournament), and their road record (8-6) was worthy enough to get them into the field.

And as for why Colorado, with its three wins over Kansas State, or Alabama or Virginia Tech didn't make the field? The common answer was that none of them had enough votes to get into the field and that "we just didn't have enough slots to for them to be in."

Smith was quick to point out that he's not in favor of expanding the field from the new 68 to 96, which was discussed last year.

Smith also revealed a few other tourney-specific tidbits Sunday night:

• For seeding purposes, the committee used information from Florida State and Georgetown that key players Chris Singleton (broken right foot) and Chris Wright (broken left nonshooting hand) would play in the NCAA tournament after being out the last part of February and through their respective conference tournaments with injuries. Both players have said they plan on playing in the NCAAs.

• Having five games to observe BYU without dismissed forward Brandon Davies (violation of BYU honor code) was critical to evaluating the Cougars. The Cougars lost to New Mexico and beat Wyoming at home without Davies and then beat TCU and New Mexico and lost to San Diego State in the MWC tournament, without him, too. BYU was seeded No. 3 in the Southeast.

• The committee waited on all four of the conference finals Sunday (Atlantic 10, SEC, ACC and Big Ten) before finishing the bracket. But there was no plan to automatically put the winner of the ACC tournament as a No. 1 seed. Duke did get a No. 1 while North Carolina received a No. 2. However, Kentucky was seeded at No. 4 after beating Florida in the SEC tournament title game Sunday and the Gators were seeded as a No. 2.

• Alabama's conference affiliation didn't factor into the decision to leave out the Tide. "We look at the individual teams and not the conference," he said.

• The toughest thing for the committee was selecting the last teams in the field and ultimately figuring out how to seed a record 11 Big East teams. But Smith said the committee did look at trying to put Big East teams in the same region that played only once during the Big East regular season instead of twice. Big East teams play only three teams twice in the 18-game schedule.

Maybe the most telling revelation into how little the committee looks at matchups came when a reporter asked Smith if he was aware that former Arizona walk-on/assistant and second-year Memphis head coach Josh Pastner would coach his first NCAA tournament game against Arizona.

"That's amazing," Smith said. "As you well know, I was at Arizona State University for five years and I know him and I never thought about that until you just told me. That's interesting. No, there's no conspiracy there, my man."
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    i loved watching the colorado coach crying on bracketology after they got snubbed. bitch your rpi was 65 and strength of schedule 325. GET OVER IT
    Bleh, they deserved to be in over UAB and VCU. Ridiculous. They should have even been in over Clemson...
    what was clemsons, UAB, and VCU's rpi? im sure a shit ton better than 65. at 65 you shouldnt even be considered for the tourney. its a 66(ish) team tourney, like 20 auto bids which leaves like 46 teams left. your rpi should be 50 or better to even be considered. if they actually played a difficult non conference schedule they would be in but they were little bitches and made a cupcake schedule. they did it to themselves, GET OVER IT
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,592 spicy boy
    sucks that if michigan wins we would have to play duke...hopefully they do win...and if they do they stand somewhat of a chance but i doubt it...but this michigan team is on the rise in the next couple years
    RPI on its own is bullshit. Who did UAB and VCU beat? Nobody.
    sucks that if michigan wins we would have to play duke...hopefully they do win...and if they do they stand somewhat of a chance but i doubt it...but this michigan team is on the rise in the next couple years
    You know how weird that shit would be after the documentary just aired? lol
    no dude rpi is a way better system than just coaches voting and shit, then no mid majors would get any kind of credit. colorado beat good teams cuz there in the conference, big deal. they still played the 325 ranked out of conference schedule. do you understand how crappy that is, its like the worst in division 1 basketball. acorn state had a tougher schedule than colorado. the rpi isnt 100 fool proof but it is a great system that is way more fair than any man made decision
    But that shouldn't be the only factor. In the end, you actually have to win basketball games against semi-decent teams.
    But that shouldn't be the only factor. In the end, you actually have to win basketball games against semi-decent teams.
    do you like not understand how the rpi workes or something? if you beat a decent team your rpi goes up dramatically if you beat a shitty team your rpi my go up slightyly, not at all, or even drop. it all makes sense dude
    edited March 2011
    Except Colorado got six wins against the top 50 while the other two that got in didn't get any. RPI on its own isn't good enough.
    once again colorado did it to themselves, if they werent little bitches and played ANYBODY in the OOC schedule they would be in, they chose the bitch road so there out.

UAB is a 31 rpi
    VCU is a 49 rpi
    colorado is 65

its obvious and if u cant see that then you obviously dont understand college basketball

coloroda OOC schedule

11-12 Idaho St. 7-20 (4-12) 302 88-80 W
    11-16 at Georgia 21-11 (10-8) 47 74-83 L
    ? 11-20 at San Francisco 15-14 (11-5) 120 81-83 L
    11-23 Alcorn St. 4-24 (4-14) 337 91-51 W
    11-28 at Harvard 21-6 (12-3) 35 66-82 L
    11-30 Texas Pan Amer. 3-25 (2-11) 343 83-64 W
    12-04 Oregon St. 11-20 (6-14) 219 83-57 W
    $ 12-08 Colorado St. 18-12 (9-8) 50 90-83 W
    12-17 Citadel 8-22 (6-13) 294 89-61 W
    12-19 Longwood 8-19 (4-4) 318 104-59 W
    12-22 vs New Mexico 20-12 (9-9) 66 76-89 L
    12-23 vs Indiana 12-20 (3-16) 191 78-69 W
    12-29 MD Eastern Shore 7-22 (6-12) 323 92-65 W

i rest my case
    they lost at San fransicsco for gods sake, they should be in??
    and in the end it doesnt really mean much cuz UAB, CLEMSON,VCU, or COLORADO werent winning any championships anywayz
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,592 spicy boy
    and in the end it doesnt really mean much cuz UAB, CLEMSON,VCU, or COLORADO werent winning any championships anywayz
    thats what they said about nc state and villinova....

villanova was an 8th seed, not an 11 or 12. and that happened once. not to say it cant happen again but its extremely unlikely any of the team i mentioned will win the tourney, they even have to play an extra game..