Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

**Official 2024 Detroit Lions Thread**

Comments

• WineWine Posts: 841 balls deep
    Could be worse, ed
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    Don't encourage him. Not worth the effort.
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,597 spicy boy
    Lions will be better this year than last
  • WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
    apparently the rumor is that the Seahawks are trying to work out a 100% guaranteed contract with Wilson. If it's not obvious how that would work... here is a simple example- You can either structure a contract like 6 years, 120M, with 50 M guaranteed -OR- 6 years 100M with 100M guaranteed. So what's better for a player? Sure you are taking 20M less however you are locked in to receive that 100M and dont have to worry about career ending injury nor being cut by the team. Seahawks on the other-hand are taking a huge risk because if he is injured they are out a lot of money, however if he is good for those 6 years then they save substantial money under the cap cause they are paying him 20M less over 6 years.
    100% guaranteed for a QB that might just barely break the top ten list of QB's =))
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,666 spicy boy
    Russell > stafford 
  • WineWine Posts: 841 balls deep
    apparently the rumor is that the Seahawks are trying to work out a 100% guaranteed contract with Wilson. If it's not obvious how that would work... here is a simple example- You can either structure a contract like 6 years, 120M, with 50 M guaranteed -OR- 6 years 100M with 100M guaranteed. So what's better for a player? Sure you are taking 20M less however you are locked in to receive that 100M and dont have to worry about career ending injury nor being cut by the team. Seahawks on the other-hand are taking a huge risk because if he is injured they are out a lot of money, however if he is good for those 6 years then they save substantial money under the cap cause they are paying him 20M less over 6 years.
    I have absolutely no idea why a team would do that, because it is completely player friendly.  The only scenario that this would work is if you fully guaranteed two years, or something like that.  The premise you have up there is pretty much bullshit, because fully guaranteeing a contract is not worth $20M.  It's more like it's worth $40-$50M.  Either way, Wilson and his agent should not be willing to take $20M off the table, because they believe in his ability to get to that final contract, I'm sure.  Even if that were the case, why push for a full guarantee when you can get $50M guaranteed and make an extra $20M over the life of the contract?

I'd be blown away if that happens, because both sides would be entirely retarded to do it.  Wilson guarantees a 30% discount on his earnings over his career, and the Seahawks take a massive liability in the event that Wilson gets injured, or just isn't as good in the later half of his career.
    I agree with you Wine, just reposting the rumors im hearing.

I'd like to point out though that in the same paragraph you said the team would be stupid to do that because it is player friendly, however then you go on to later say why would Russel take 20M off the table. How about because it's player friendly? Like you said liability is shifted completely onto the team at the cost of making cap room and the player giving his team a potential discount.

This is what I will say... I think the contract like this is probably a bad idea. I will add though that I could see this sort of contract being great for both the player and the team. The player is free from concerns over losing money from injury/cut, and the team saves itself some cap room assuming that the player stays healthy and keeps his drive for playing. There are very very few players that I think would have the right qualities for this to even be considered...... Of those few players, Russel Wilson is probably the best candidate. If this sort of deal is ever going to be a good outcome, Wilson is probably near the top of that list. Not saying it's a good idea, but just that I understand why Seattle is considering it.

also... my numbers were made up as an example. I have no clue what sort of actual figures are being discussed. Also, I'd imagine they wont get Russels deal taken care of before the draft. It's much better to get the roster settled, and then finalize his deal so they could maybe frontload his contract since they have more money this year then they probably will next year thanks to Jimmy.
    Owen said:
    Russell > stafford 
    stafford will be in the MVP chase this year. 

wilson probably will be as well 

and the aaron rodgers will win it lol
    Russell was THE god last year. 
    yeah, and he took a break on Superbowl sunday
    Not my fault the refs missed an obvious PI call :-??
    kill your fucking self 
    kill your fucking self 
    I have all sorts of problems with this ordering.... Next time can you please put fucking in its proper place

"Fucking Kill yourself!"

is just better.
    stay hinged doe 
    no
    okay so just to clarify, you are asking todd to kill himself while he is in the middle of fucking? As long as he isnt fucking you're cool with him. okay good to know.
    what in the fuck was matt millen thinking drafting charles rodgers over andre johnson :|