Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

**Official 2024 Detroit Lions Thread**

Comments

• WakeOfAshesWakeOfAshes Posts: 21,665 destroyer of motherfuckers
    JamesBong said:
    I never said we had a tough schedule :|
    you lost to carolina =))
    Wine said:
    JamesBong said:
    Rodgers is on his way to being the best QB of all time if he keeps what hes doing up. Id say GB's chances are a little better than "9.2" =))

Do you guys think they will be able to keep the team together for a three-peat? I hope so!
    Wilson will be the highest paid QB by next season. The Seahawks window closes in 2016.
    as much as I love the guy... hope not. I want him paid for sure... but not highest paid. hoping he tells them to make it reasonable to keep this going.
  • WineWine Posts: 841 balls deep
    "Reasonable" still doesn't make the window longer.  He has won a SB in his first few seasons, and that's going to mean a top 5 QB salary.  That's going to mean around $18M per year and probably ~$45M-$50M guaranteed.  That's the floor for his contract.  There's an even better chance of him getting something like $20M per year, and even more than $50M guaranteed.

That means that Wilson and Sherman ALONE will carry a cap hit of about $25M-$30M, approximately 20% of the 2015 cap.  So you cut some guys that matter, but aren't ESSENTIAL pieces, and hope to replace them with guys on a rookie contract.  That means Lynch, Okung, Mebane, Zach Miller, or Bruce Irvin should probably worry about their futures with the team.  I think there is no way Lynch is back without really putting the team in cap hell in '17 or so.
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    It'll be interesting to see what Atlanta does now. The two candidates that made the most sense (Ryan, Bowles) took jobs elsewhere, and their supposed first choice (Quinn) might not be available until after the Super Bowl.
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
    Wine said:
    "Reasonable" still doesn't make the window longer.  He has won a SB in his first few seasons, and that's going to mean a top 5 QB salary.  That's going to mean around $18M per year and probably ~$45M-$50M guaranteed.  That's the floor for his contract.  There's an even better chance of him getting something like $20M per year, and even more than $50M guaranteed.

That means that Wilson and Sherman ALONE will carry a cap hit of about $25M-$30M, approximately 20% of the 2015 cap.  So you cut some guys that matter, but aren't ESSENTIAL pieces, and hope to replace them with guys on a rookie contract.  That means Lynch, Okung, Mebane, Zach Miller, or Bruce Irvin should probably worry about their futures with the team.  I think there is no way Lynch is back without really putting the team in cap hell in '17 or so.
    That would be way too much for him IMHO.... Im kinda hoping that big contracts like that are a thing of the past with the semi-recent cap changes. Im hoping we sign him with a big signing bonus and 6M a year. I know that's funny and I am dreaming. If they can work some deal for 10-12M per year plus nice incentive bonuses that could push it higher for results I'd love to see that. Im tired of guaranteed money on big contracts and players stop playing. I'd like to start seeing contracts that pay them say say X dollars for playing and then that number could be 40% higher with MVP like performances that result in SB's. So for example a 10M per year contract could be say 15M if he is performing at SB level. If not... He has 10M.

• GazorpazorpfieldGazorpazorpfield Posts: 22,293 master of ceremonies
    I thought Lynch being gone was a done deal, like he talked about it in the middle of the season?
    image Photobucket
    Chuckless said:
    I thought Lynch being gone was a done deal, like he talked about it in the middle of the season?
    no... not that I know of. I think there is speculation he might be gone after this season, but I havent payed much attention. I'll believe it when I see it.
  • GazorpazorpfieldGazorpazorpfield Posts: 22,293 master of ceremonies
    I'm pretty sure he said something about of it doesn't work out with the seahawks he has no interest in trying to sign with another team, his body is beat the fuck up. Possible I just read an article talking about that and not anything he actually said.
    image Photobucket
    =)) I'd think it's safe to say it wasn't anything he said.... Have you seen his press conferences? Not the biggest of talkers.
  • NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,282 mod
    Tate > Sanders 

Im a big enough man to admit that Seattle is hurting without Tate and Harvin. Seattle took a big gamble not signing Tate again by thinking that Harvin would be a great replacement for Tate. And then what happens, but Harvin starts being a cancer in the locker-room and they have to ship him too? That hurts. I love Seattle and the Hawks... Love the legion of boom, love the QB, Love the O-Line and D-Line...... But if seattle doesn't have one of the most suspect receiving corps in the NFL, Im not sure who you'd say has it worst. Baldwin would probably be a WR3 tops on most teams. I like Luke Wilson well enough, but He's more like a top 15 TE best. Probably ranks 20+ in the league if you were to check his stats. 

And so here we are going into the NFC championship game with very suspect receiving corp. Last year we won the Superbowl with Both Harvin and Tate and Boldwin, and now we gotta do it without the two best of that group? Ouch... Good luck hawks. we are going to need it.

Praying for Pick-6's. \m/
    I wasn't too concerned about Seattles chances the last few games of the regular season because of the matchups.... and then we get that first round bye and luck out getting Carolina and Im like \m/ . If Im being honest though... Not having receivers is really going to hurt playing against a team like GB who will put points on the board no matter how good the def is.
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy
    Wine said:
     :| 
    Dat moustache doe
  • FLATFLAT Posts: 60,664 spicy boy
    Luke Wilson is that nigga \m/
    Basically just hired Ron Jeremy as our coach.  RIP competitive 49ers.
    Not a fan? Maybe they'll get Trestman or someone similar to work with Kaep. I'm surprised they didn't go with Gase. He might not even get a head coaching job unless Denver takes him back.
    edited January 2015
    I love Tomsula as a coach.  He's just not right for HC right now.  He's a passionate, charismatic guy, who will be a whole ton of fun to follow.  The hang up with him though, is that he will NEED a strong OC for at least the time being.  I've read Charlie Weis, Trestman and Rob Chudzinski as possible OC's for them, and the only one that really fits the bill to me is Trestman.  The 49ers need an OC who can play a large role in Kaepernick's development.  That's why I thought someone like Kyle Shanahan would do well.

Gase is in trouble.  It seems to me that Atlanta will be patient and wait for Quinn, who would be great for them.  Other than that, it's just Denver, right?  If Denver decides to go in another direction, he'll just be OC again somewhere.  Maybe not even Denver.
    edited January 2015
    Promoting Gase might convince Peyton to play another year. The question is if Gase is the right guy for a team that wants to win a Super Bowl next year, and if he is the right guy long-term. Unless they can pull a Dungy/Cowher/Parcells out of retirement, he might be their best option. Maybe they'll look at Fangio now?

Every coaching vacancy that's filled makes me more optimistic that we hang on to Teryl Austin. If Atlanta is going to wait for Quinn, I think we're nearly out of the woods.