Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Chemistry help?

MarcusMMarcusM Posts: 2,059 just the tip
edited October 2010 in Off Topic
1.) (part 1 of 2) 10.0 points
Answer both parts of this question to six sig.
figs.
Suppose that coal of density 1.5 g/cm3 is pure carbon. (It is, in fact, much more complicated, but this is a reasonable first approximation.) The combustion of carbon is described by the equation
C(s) + O2(g) −! CO2(g) H◦ = −394 kJ
What is the value of q (heat) when a lump of coal of size 6.2 cm × 5.7 cm × 5.2 cm is
burned?
Answer in units of kJ.

2.) (part 2 of 2) 10.0 points
What mass of water can be heated from 24◦C to 100◦C by burning this piece of coal?
Answer in units of g.

3.) Solve to the correct number of sig. figs.
An aluminum plate weighing 100.0 g is heated to 105.0◦C and is then laid on top of a copper plate weighing 100.0 g at 0.0◦C in an insulating container. If the container allows no heat to escape and absorbs no heat itself, what will the final temperature of the two metal plates be? Report your answer to the nearest 0.1 degree. (Simplifying hint: T calculations give the same result whether they are done in Celsius or Kelvins, so do this problem with the temperatures in degrees Celsius. Even though the T in this problem is broken up into initial and final temperatures, it is still a T problem, and can be done without converting temperatures to Kelvins.)
Answer in units of C.

4.) Calculate the solution to the problem to six sig. figs.
The enthalpy of combustion of benzoic acid (C6H5COOH) which is often used to calibrate calorimeters, is −3227 kJ/mol. When 1.411 g of benzoic acid was burned in a calorimeter, the temperature increased by 2.768◦C. What is the overall heat capacity of the calorimeter? The overall heat capacity includes the calorimeter hardware and the water that is in it.
Answer in units of kJ/◦C

Not really expecting anyone to do these but if someone could help I would really appreciate it. I'm still working on them but I'll be back to see if anyone had any input in like half an hour.

Comments