Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

***Official Video Games Thread***

Comments

• MarcTheFallenMarcTheFallen Posts: 26,663 master of ceremonies
    Nintendo Warns Against Possible 3DS Eye Damage

Is Nintendo about to alienate a core section of its audience? In advance of a special event for the 3DS in Japan, Nintendo released a statement warning parents that children ages six or younger should only use 2D mode when playing the upcoming handheld. According to Nintendo's statement (which is located here and translated by the Wall Street Journal), use of artificial 3D can possibly affect the development of healthy eyes.

Nintendo didn't stop there. The gaming giant also stressed that adults shouldn't play in 3D mode for more than 30 minutes at a stretch. The warnings are not blanket reasons to avoid the 3DS altogether, but these are aggressive statements against what's supposed to be the central feature of the 3DS.

Is this a preemptive strike against medical experts that are sure to weigh in when the 3DS is released this spring? Nintendo is often keen to address potential problems before they become full-fledged PR nightmares, as evidenced by the repeat measures (wrist strap warnings and rubber shells) to guard against flying Wii Remotes.

These eyesight warnings are rather reminiscent of those issued by Nintendo in the wake of the Virtual Boy launch, where breaks from the 3D action were not mandatory, but heavily suggested. That wasn't the key undoing of the Virtual Boy, but it was definitely a piece of the rug that was eventually pulled out from under the gaming device. Will 3D end up a curse for Nintendo after all?

Look for more details about the 3DS on January 8-10 right here on IGN, as reports from the Nintendo World 2011 event come across the pond.
  • ZmbieFlavrdCupcakesZmbieFlavrdCupcakes Posts: 32,259 jayfacer
    Then next time don't leave out the part that adults can only use it for 30min at a time DEEEEEEEEEEE!
  • Ace_Deputy_CheezeAce_Deputy_Cheeze Posts: 14,736 jayfacer
    edited January 2011
    They can play as long as they want.
    Its a suggestion. DEEEEEEE!
    Deputy_Cheeze's Profile Page Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
    Naw mate. You have much to learn when it comes to the 3Dness.

What Nintendo is doing is pretty cool but will fuck up the eyes. Special 3D glasses are used for 3D to get the effects and to not strain the eyes so much. Movie Theater glasses don't do that since they are cheap glasses. The new ones for TVs have frame rates and reduce straining on the eyes all together, which takes away the motion sickness and stuff that people get when they go see a 3D movie at a theater.

These how ever use a special type of 3D that alters the screen and use of angles to make it look like it's 3D. It's 3D but it's not 3D. This type of 3D will strain the eyes pretty bad because you have to constantly look at it at a time to get the full 3D effect. Blinking and moving your head will mess up and you have to do the same thing over. That's why they "stress" that you play it 30min at a time so you don't fuck up your eyes.

It's a good move by Nintendo, cause I sure as hell wouldn't want to get sued by parents and adults for not slapping a warning label on it.
    edited January 2011
    They can still play as much as they want
    The system doesnt go into sleep mode or somethin.
    Thats the point i was gettin at, lol. <_>

EDIT: someone will still prolly sue.
    someone always does.
    They can still play as much as they want
    The system doesnt go into sleep mode or somethin.
    Thats the point i was gettin at, lol. <_>

EDIT: someone will still prolly sue.
    someone always does.
    Oh, well then..........*muwah* <3

• ZmbieFlavrdCupcakesZmbieFlavrdCupcakes Posts: 32,259 jayfacer
    marc, youre stupid
    /thread
    imageimage
  • XenoXeno Posts: 21,031 master of ceremonies
    He made a good point.
    3DS battery life:

As part of its big Nintendo World event being held in Tokyo at the moment, Nintendo has released a chart outlining the final hardware specifications for the 3DS. Most importantly, that includes details on the handheld's battery life.

It takes 3.5 hours for a 3DS battery to fully charge, which is pretty good. As for how fast that battery drains, Nintendo has only provided a select number of figures, all based on the presumption you're using the handheld on a lower screen brightness level.

With the screen's backlighting turned down (but not off), you'll get 3-5 hours of battery life while playing a 3DS game. That number extends to 5-8 hours if you're playing an older DS game on the handheld.

Of course, the more you increase the screen's brightness, the bigger the hit the 3DS' battery life will take. While people will be upset that these numbers seem low for a Nintendo handheld, they're not that far off what you'd expect from a DSi, and considering the 3DS is a much more powerful device, all that extra grunt takes its toll on a battery.

If you're after definitive battery life tests on a unit under all kinds of circumstances, we'll have to wait until people can use one without Nintendo employees standing over their shoulders.
  • NOCAPNOCAP Posts: 37,282 mod
    Looks pretty damn good for a DS title.

• LiveFreeDieLiveFreeDie Posts: 8,055 destroyer of motherfuckers
    W00t I just jailbroke my PS3 and it was simple as shit. So as of right now I can play Nes, Snes and Genesis games on it. I'm sure more packages will be available in a few days.

I really only used my PS3 for blu rays but this just added a whole new life to it. Let me tell you what super mario brothers has never looked better in 1080p. :-D
    Death is not the worst of evils. You can't be down, when you're always high.
    "The PlayStation 3 console has been jailbroken with George Hotz's hack on the console, but what aside from the moral repercussions of hacking your PS3 and pirating software, what will Sony enforce in this new era. It is being rumored that Sony will begin to ban jailbroken PlayStation 3 consoles much like Microsoft did with the Xbox 360 in the Fall of 2009.

Upon booting up your PlayStation 3 console, the machine communicates with Sony's servers. And chances are that if you try to run games from an unauthorized source like back-up manager this will be associated with your PSN account and ultimately the console you are playing on via your console identification number. Using this information, Sony could ultimately use this with a periodic banning tool much like Microsoft does with the Xbox 360.

So despite the possibility of breaking your PS3, and the fact that it is against the Terms of Service of the console, and the opinion that it is morally wrong, you have one more reason not to jailbreak your PS3. That reason is the banhammer."

So yeah don't jailbreak your PS3 like I did unless you want to take the risk of being banned. I haven't installed anything to play back ups of PS3 games just Nes, Snes and Genesis roms. I unhooked it from the internet almost right after I jailbroke it, but it was connected at one point when I was playing an Nes rom.

But honestly I really only use my ps3 for netflix and blu rays so even if I do get banned it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.
    Wow so now Sony is suing the guy who made this latest exploit. Shit is getting crazy. This is also the same guy who made the limera1n jailbreaks for iphones.
  • TehPrince666TehPrince666 Posts: 1,118 salt miner
    Saturday night after da packer game, an in da bar, I was pwnin my noobtard friend in blackops online an I rarely play it, pretty sad when I can pick up a controller get like 20 kill streak in the first 30 mins, an he is at the bottom of the list all the time, an he plays it all the time.
  • Razor_SharkRazor_Shark Posts: 12,604 balls deep
    edited January 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPAXykVwkLw

If 6 Was 9 was FC'd today

Edit: Hey Joe(Live) was also FC'd today, when I find a video I will post it here.

Double Edit: That brings the list of songs down to 9, here is the list in order from 1. Hardest to 9. Easiest

1. The Who -- Young Man Blues(Live At Leeds)
    2. Rush -- The Camera Eye
    3. Whitechapel -- This Is Exile
    4. Rush -- The Working Man(Cover)
    5. Jimi Hendrix -- 3rd Stone From The Sun
    6. The Who -- Magic Bus(Live At Leeds)
    7. Rush -- The Working Man
    8. Green Day -- Homecoming
    9. Jimi Hendrix -- Stone Free
  • XenoXeno Posts: 21,031 master of ceremonies