Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

SIGN THE PETITION!

SGNL_05SGNL_05 Posts: 3,501 just the tip
edited September 2010 in Off Topic
For nearly two decades, elected officials have tried to regulate which video games you can buy, rent and play. Every single time they’ve passed a law, the federal courts have struck it down as unconstitutional. But this may change this fall.

The Supreme Court of the United States has agreed to hear the State of California’s infamous ‘violent video game case,’ Schwarzenegger v. EMA. That means that this year, or early next, the Court is going to decide whether to agree with the lower federal courts or not. Agreeing would mean that they believe that video games are, and should continue to be, First Amendment protected speech; just like books, movies and music. The court disagreeing would mean that they think video games should be treated differently. This could lead to new bills and laws curtailing video game access in states across the country.

It is no exaggeration to state that their hearing represents the single most important moment for gamers, and the pivotal issue for gaming, in the sector’s history.

Over this summer, we’ll be drafting and formally submitting our amicus brief, which will be included with the other official court documents related to the case. Separately, we will also attach a petition signed by you, the American public, which –by its very existence – will publicly define who the consumers of interactive entertainment are and why we care enough about the issue to take the time to make the effort to speak up and make our voices heard. The petition establishes an authoritative collective position which cannot be redefined by detractors nor co-opted by others. And it enshrines each and every signatory’s participation in the court documents and in the U.S. National Archives’ official records related to the case.

If you’re an American gamer, and you care about gaming and your rights, stand up and be counted; sign the petition today!

http://action.theeca.com/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=1781

Comments

• balanced_void91balanced_void91 Posts: 2,782 balls deep
  • MikeMike Posts: 7,820 admin
  • BrianBrian Posts: 17,611 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Please don't tell me that Schwarzenegger is against violence. You've got to be fucking kidding me.
    nike Pictures, Images and PhotosTUPAC IS DEAD/THE LEGEND IS GONE/THEY SAYIN TUPAC'S BACK?/DEM NIGGAS WRONG
  • NolaFree810NolaFree810 Posts: 36,796 moneytalker
    i really could care less if they never made a new video game ever again.......
  • Alec29Alec29 Posts: 3,864 juggalo

Thank you, sir.
  • 1DisturbedMthrFckr1DisturbedMthrFckr Posts: 1,027 juggalo
    Violent video games don't tell the kiddies to go out and kill each other. I signed it.
  • JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    I must be the only gamer who doesn't regularly play a FPS.
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
  • FIRENATHANIELHACKETTFIRENATHANIELHACKETT Posts: 35,453 spicy boy

Thank you, sir.
    Im surprised you know what those are. Didnt know they had video games in the stone age.
  • ZmbieFlavrdCupcakesZmbieFlavrdCupcakes Posts: 32,259 jayfacer
    id rather sign petitions to help animals.
    LOL @ JAKE!
    imageimage
  • Rex_Capone420Rex_Capone420 Posts: 69,596 spicy boy
    nope i really don't either...every once and a while something comes out that i get into tho
    id rather sign petitions to help animals.
    LOL @ JAKE!
    its a petition...its not like it takes much work

Thank you, sir.
    Im surprised you know what those are. Didnt know they had video games in the stone age.

That was quite funny, sir. Been a gamer most of my life. These attempts at restricting video games only tend to increase sales, much like what the PMRC did for music sales. Slap a warning label on there and it sells better. LOL
    i wonder if thats how it worked for ciggs lol

No, I really do think cigarettes will be completely banned within my lifetime. They are already well over 8.00 a pack here with another tax increase due to hit in late October. I wish I'd never picked them up.
  • ShaneShane Posts: 15,229 balls deep

Thank you, sir.

That was quite funny, sir. Been a gamer most of my life. These attempts at restricting video games only tend to increase sales, much like what the PMRC did for music sales. Slap a warning label on there and it sells better. LOL
    that's the worst i see happening, companys having to slap a bigger parental warning on the boxes
  • ShaneShane Posts: 15,229 balls deep
    edited September 2010

No, I really do think cigarettes will be completely banned within my lifetime. They are already well over 8.00 a pack here with another tax increase due to hit in late October. I wish I'd never picked them up.
    the gov knows they can't outright ban cigs completely but... nothing can stop them from taxing them into oblivion. as the should be no less, they kill people

the gov knows they can't outright ban cigs completely but... nothings can stop them from taxing them into oblivion. as the should be no less, they kill people

I partially agree with ya Shaner. They WILL tax them into oblivion. I also agree they kill people but in the same breath they haven't outlawed guns, knives, sticks, chains, idiot drivers, etc. I don't think the fact that a substance kills people is their motivation for all the extra taxes. I think it's because they know they have an addicted group of people that will buy them no matter the cost. It seems like they are preying on the weak to me. Oh yeah, I'm one of the weak ones.........

i was just thinking about if cigg sales went up when they started putting warnings on the boxes....and damn 8 bucks fuck...we can still get camel light 99's here for 5.50 a pack and every once and a while there is a sale and we can get packs for under 5 bucks
  • Razor_SharkRazor_Shark Posts: 12,604 balls deep
    Only shooters I own are both games in the Resistance series and Fracture.