Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

***Official*** 2024 College Football Thread

Comments

• JLRedWing13JLRedWing13 Posts: 48,722 mod
    Ohio state should have got a worse penalty
    not really
    Yes, they should have. Are you kidding me? You can't tell me that USC committed worse violations than Ohio State, but according to the NCAA, that's what happened. The fact that there was no lack of institutional control charge blows my mind. The penalty was weak.
    lol no
    Troll.
    JLRedWing13's Profile PagePhotobucketimage
  • MarcTheFallenMarcTheFallen Posts: 26,661 master of ceremonies
    lolno.

they got what was fair.

coach is gone and he was the one covering everything up. he pretty much got the death penalty.
    players are gone and nothing they can do
    university didn't know anything about it, so no reason to give them the DP when it was clearly on the coach.
    Jay stfu with your biased. u mad U of M is shit and can't beat OSU for what? 11 years straight.
    edited December 2011
    You think it's a biased opinion, huh? Ok.

Let's look at the NCAA statement from the ruling on the USC case:

"A head coach has special obligation to establish a spirit of compliance among the entire team, including assistant coaches, other staff and student-athletes. The head coach must generally observe the activities of assistant coaches and staff to determine if they are acting in compliance with NCAA rules. Too often, when assistant coaches are involved in a web of serious violations, head coaches profess ignorance, saying that they were too busy to know what was occurring and that they trusted their assistants. Such a failure by head coaches to control their teams, alone or with the assistance of a staff member with compliance responsibilities, is a lack of institutional control."

It doesn't matter what the university did or didn't know, though Ohio State certainly never tried to admit they made mistakes either.

Non-biased article that agrees with me: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Ohio-State-takes-a-hit-from-the-NCAA-but-dodges?urn=ncaaf-wp11775
  • mrAPEmrAPE Posts: 39,476 moneytalker
    I'm not a Michigan fan and I think they should have got the death penalty
    You tryin to be a hero fool? You wanna see badass mother fucker?! I'll show ya a badass!!!
    You think it's a biased opinion, huh? Ok.

Let's look at the NCAA statement from the ruling on the USC case:

"A head coach has special obligation to establish a spirit of compliance among the entire team, including assistant coaches, other staff and student-athletes. The head coach must generally observe the activities of assistant coaches and staff to determine if they are acting in compliance with NCAA rules. Too often, when assistant coaches are involved in a web of serious violations, head coaches profess ignorance, saying that they were too busy to know what was occurring and that they trusted their assistants. Such a failure by head coaches to control their teams, alone or with the assistance of a staff member with compliance responsibilities, is a lack of institutional control."

It doesn't matter what the university did or didn't know, though Ohio State certainly never tried to admit they made mistakes either.

Non-biased article that agrees with me: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Ohio-State-takes-a-hit-from-the-NCAA-but-dodges?urn=ncaaf-wp11775
    yahoo article. you fucking kidding me? the writers of yahoo sports are known world wide of being complete fucking idiots that can't write for shit. come back when you have a real article. oh and biased.
    You're full of shit or trolling. Come back when you can counter the NCAA statement I posted.
    Skip would like a word with you
    Mr. Hinton, I have to assume you are a relatively intelligent guy, but if I make that assumption I have to also assume that you are distorting the truth to make a feeble argument seem more believable.

Perhaps you should consider using actual facts in your argument, not distortions of the truth:

USC's "case involved one player, an assistant coach who vehemently proclaimed his innocence and third parties who had no connection to USC." You forgot about OJ Mayo, and you failed to mention that agents were involved with athletes in two different sports. USC achieved the triple play of NCAA violations: Agents, illegal benefits, and a coach (McNair) who lied to the NCAA. That's why there was a Lack of Institutional Control.

"In another year or two, USC's roster will be slashed by a full third of its usual depth". I'm not a mathematician, but I don't think that 10 scholarships a year is equal to a third of the 85 scholarships they would have had without this mess.

"Cleveland-area businessman Bob DiGeronimo, who allegedly funneled $14,000 to several players". Again, false. The NCAA report said that the total amount for all violations was $14,000. That includes the reduced tattoos, and the money the athletes got selling memorabilia. The total amount that came from a booster for work not performed and cash payments was $2,405. Either way, $1400 in impermissible benefits is a far cry from the $300,000+ in the USC case.

USC got one of the harshest punishments doled out over the last 30 years. OSU got a bowl ban, which is out of the ordinary for Failure to Monitor cases. Just report the story or state your opinion. Don't misrepresent facts to incite outcry from college football fans who are some of the most emotionally charged fans in all of sports.

This article is no better than tabloid journalism.

=D>
    Yet again, not disproving the NCAA statement.
    First off, I think Matt Hinton is extremely bias. He twisted a number of facts and then put his own spin on the whole thing. Of the nine players, only 3 of them received more then a few hundred for work. The Sports Illustrated article claimed 30 players got "nearly free" cars turned out to be 100% Bull Sh@t. The vast majority of the players selling their trinkets and jerseys only received tatoos and not much money (and remember, those trickets/jerseys belonged to THEM).

How can Hinton compare that to the HUNDREDS of ThOUSANDS of dollars given out to Reggie Bush and his family (PLEASE don't tell me Reggie didn't notice the parents new house and cars...). At USC, they truly tried to block the NCAA and Pistol Pete was fighting them every step of the way. Then he ran for the hills of the NFL.

My problem is this: why coundn't the NCAA say WAY before December 20th what the punishment will be? This was the year for the bowl ban....not next. Punishing young players not involved next year is terrible.

OSU was not involved in Houses, Cars, Prostitues, Child Pedophilles or other crimes. They had a few players involved in chump change, free golf, and tatoos. The punishment was excessive.

=D>
    You've proven the article isn't a legitimate source, but you've yet to explain why OSU didn't deserve a LOIC charge.....
  • GazorpazorpfieldGazorpazorpfield Posts: 22,293 master of ceremonies
    Lol if anybody was gonna come close to getting the death penalty it would've been Miami. I conveniently replayed the 30 for 30 on SMU when talk for the Miami penalty was going down.
    image Photobucket
    You've proven the article isn't a legitimate source, but you've yet to explain why OSU didn't deserve a LOIC charge.....
    Not trying to prove that. You know I don't give a shit about either of those teams and are trying to trolololol you. Seriously though <_> don't you ever insult me or any other sports fan with a brain by using a yahoo article for your argument. I should kick you in the dick for that.
  • Chicken_FuckerChicken_Fucker Posts: 15,691 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Got my 34 and 35 out of the way! \m/
    Damn dude. you used them that early? haha.
    RG3 is the shit
    Damn dude. you used them that early? haha.
    my 33 is out of the way too B-)
  • That_Guy_ArloThat_Guy_Arlo Posts: 14,026 master of ceremonies
    God damn it this game is gonna ruin my bowl picks...
    God damn this Baylor/Washington game is amazing offense wise. Jesus christ.
    Can't believe the points scored in last nights game.

Games start at noon today! \m/