Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

So I'm thinking about jailbreaking my iPhone... Anyone have experience with this?

LiveFreeDieLiveFreeDie Posts: 8,055 destroyer of motherfuckers
edited August 2010 in Off Topic
So ive been doing a bit of research on "Cydia" which if you don't know is like App store but with apps that Apple does not allow. Then I was reading on CNN that you can goto jailbreakme.com on safari and it does all the jailbreaking for you no PC required.

Does anyone have any experience with Cydia or jailbreaking an iPhone in general?
Death is not the worst of evils. You can't be down, when you're always high.

Comments

• GazorpazorpfieldGazorpazorpfield Posts: 22,293 master of ceremonies
    edited August 2010
    I used the spirit to jailbreak my ipod, and then cydia to get apps.
    It's really easy and has a large amount of awesome stuff..but it crashed all the time when I was browsing. I had a ton of themes and wall papers and games after about an hour. But since I got OS4, the Spirit didn't have a jailbreak for it, didn't look for any others. With Spirit, all you had to do was download it and click "jailbreak." process took 2 minutes.
    image Photobucket
  • LiveFreeDieLiveFreeDie Posts: 8,055 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Should I do a restore on my iPhone before attempting any jailbreaking?
    edited August 2010
    Double post.
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Should I do a restore on my iPhone before attempting any jailbreaking?
    Yes, I don't know if it does anything big, but that's what I did.
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Posts: 10,361 balls deep
    my drug dealer just did it for me yesterday
    i havent put down my iphone since...
    Mayhem Denver '08, Albuquereque '09/'10/'11 2012 ????????? peyton manning broncos Pictures, Images and Photos
    oh
    cydia kinda sucks
    Mayhem Denver '08, Albuquereque '09/'10/'11 2012 ????????? peyton manning broncos Pictures, Images and Photos
  • GULCH_OF_ROTGULCH_OF_ROT Posts: 5,795 salt miner
    IT SUCKS FOR THE MOST PART

JUST GET AT&T IF YOU WANT IPONE
    Hmmm... Alright. I'm on iOS 4 right now with my replacement 3GS and so far no problems. If I do a restore it's going to update me to iOS 4.0.1 which changes the signal bars on the iPhone or something like that.

So I guess what in wondering is, is worth it for Cydia? I've read articles and seen YouTube videos of some apps and it does look pretty sweet. And ever since I got my iPhone always thought you should be able to customize it more then what it allows you.

Also if you jailbreak you still have access to the App store and iTunes, right?
    idk only one thing i tried downloading from cydia actually worked and i think it slowed down my phone and i cant delete it...
    idk only one thing i tried downloading from cydia actually worked and i think it slowed down my phone and i cant delete it...
    What kind of iPhone/iPod do you have?

Gulch, i'm already on AT&T. I want to jailbreak it for the different Apps and Customization that comes with it.
  • NecrothulhuNecrothulhu Posts: 33,444 master of ceremonies
    AT&T can fuckin' blow up for all I care =]
    imageimage
  • GULCH_OF_ROTGULCH_OF_ROT Posts: 5,795 salt miner
    What kind of iPhone/iPod do you have?

Gulch, i'm already on AT&T. I want to jailbreak it for the different Apps and Customization that comes with it.
    OIC
  • GazorpazorpfieldGazorpazorpfield Posts: 22,293 master of ceremonies
    I didn't restore it before I jailbroke it, but I did restore it before I got OS4
    image Photobucket
    So if anyone cares I finally got the balls to jailbreak my iPhone via jailbreakme.com...

I gotta say so far it's pretty sweet. Just the tweaks you can do alone made the jailbreak worth it to me. If you have any interest in doing it I recommend it. It's not as hard as it seems to be... at least using jailbreakme.