Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Bit rates???

EpisodeEpisode Posts: 32,049 destroyer of motherfuckers
edited May 2010 in Off Topic
Anyone sure as to how these work and how much they affect Music quality?

For instance, Nile's Annihilation Of The Wicked on my Computer is 160Kbps, while Those Whom The Gods Detest is 320Kbps.

Now I know 320Kbps is supposed to mean like.....flawless, but is 160Kbps good as well? The quality of Annihilation Of The Wicked is kinda shitty.

Comments

• Its_Meh_ChewIts_Meh_Chew Posts: 7,380 just the tip
    it all depends on who ripped it, and the original quality. 160 sounds perfectly fine, but if the guy who uploaded the nile album, used a poor version of it, its gonna sound like shit no matter what bit rate he upped it to
  • drinkwine732drinkwine732 Posts: 20,418 destroyer of motherfuckers
    High bitrates usually mean better quality, but sometimes I can't tell the difference.
    My Top Albumsidrinkwine732's Profile Page
  • StratophonyStratophony Posts: 9,212 just the tip
    oh yea.... it matters

320 is ideal for "epic" music that has background sound effects or something... like Moonsorrow.

192 is still pretty good... better quality than cd's. 128kbps is the minimum you ever want to listen to a song at.
    when i first noticed it..... my mind was blown the fuck away.

It was with Ensiferum's "Lai Lai Hei"..... you just hear everything; its ridiculous how much better the music sounds. (and im not obsessed with getting ONLY music in 320 kbps; its just extra special when i do)
  • NecrothulhuNecrothulhu Posts: 33,444 master of ceremonies
    That's one of my favorite songs by them
    imageimage
  • LiveFreeDieLiveFreeDie Posts: 8,055 destroyer of motherfuckers
    Yeah, if im going with an MP3 I definitely go for 320. As others have said its a higher quality version. Its really only type of mp3 I will put on my Zune.

But overall FLAC is where its at,
    Death is not the worst of evils. You can't be down, when you're always high.
  • ComptonAssBertoComptonAssBerto Posts: 3,899 just the tip
    Anything on mp3 that is 192 kbps is sounds good. Up and above that you won't really need/can't tell the difference unless you are and audio engineer or something..
  • cannibiscorpsecannibiscorpse Posts: 5,577 salt miner
  • MetalCoresadesMetalCoresades Posts: 57,710 spicy boy
    ^ahh yea
    Do You Like Hurting Other People?
  • MarcTheFallenMarcTheFallen Posts: 26,663 master of ceremonies
    320 will pick up the sounds you won't normally hear on a 192. you always want a 320 if you are picky like me and want the full sound of it. 192 isn't bad though.
  • LiveFreeDieLiveFreeDie Posts: 8,055 destroyer of motherfuckers
    I have two 10 inch subs and a 500 wat amp in the back of my car. I can definitely tell the difference from the bass alone between mp3s that are 192 or 320.

Which is why I mostly download and burn FLAC cds for my car.

" FLAC stands for Free Lossless Audio Codec, an audio format similar to MP3, but lossless, meaning that audio is compressed in FLAC without any loss in quality. This is similar to how Zip works, except with FLAC you will get much better compression because it is designed specifically for audio, and you can play back compressed FLAC files in your favorite player (or your car or home stereo, see supported devices) just like you would an MP3 file."
    Death is not the worst of evils. You can't be down, when you're always high.
  • rammstein516rammstein516 Posts: 3,720 juggalo
    "But overall FLAC is where its at"

The truth.